Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which pressure washer?

Beefbeefbeef

Country Flag
uk
Not strictly a servicing question but this is the closest possible category. I am going to buy a pressure washer for blasting off mud this winter. Anyone got a recommendation?

Cheers

Karcher seemed to have cheapened off their manufacturing. They aren't what they used to be

None of the 'cheap' washers if that good. They are not continuously rated and will have typically a run time of about 10mins and a cooling cycle. I recently bought the smallest Karcher commercial washer, HD5/11 I think the model is called. Fully continuously rated and can be run for hours at a time. Similar performance to K4 but much quieter too. Motors and pumps are all metal. Cheaper domestic units have plastic pumps that fail when they get to hot. However, the HD is not cheap at £325 but with it for me as I don't just use it on the cars. The commercials are black and the domestics are the familiar yellow. A late post I know but a topic the regularly comes up!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was sick of the electric jobbies letting me down, Halfords, B&Q pro jobbie, Karcha=pants, none of them lasted 18months so I've just got one of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wolf-200-...wer-Pressure-Washer-Solid-Frame-/281587186705

Not used it yet, I've had same make genny for 5 years never let me down. I also got the gutter cleaning attachment so I don't have to bend over breaking my glassback to get all the crap out from under the truck, seems a solid bit of kit, I'll update when I've tested it after the Peaks trip this weekend

I was sick of the electric jobbies letting me down, Halfords, B&Q pro jobbie, Karcha=pants, none of them lasted 18months so I've just got one of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wolf-200-...wer-Pressure-Washer-Solid-Frame-/281587186705

Not used it yet, I've had same make genny for 5 years never let me down. I also got the gutter cleaning attachment so I don't have to bend over breaking my glassback to get all the crap out from under the truck, seems a solid bit of kit, I'll update when I've tested it after the Peaks trip this weekend

I have a similar story of failed totally inadequate junk.

That one looks very similar to mine, Pumpy. I don't have a link, but here's a few photos...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Similar range of interchangeable jets....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've used this a lot and my only gripe is the pressure delivery hose. It obviously has to be quite rigid (to contain the pressure) but there are no swivel fittings at either end, so stowing around the crappy hose brackets is a PITA.

Unwinding it for use is easier but you have to keep rotating the lance to get the hose out straight. Winding it back on the cradle is the pain, I might be making my own stowing frame methinks...

The pressure is good though, it's great for under the truck after a muddy day on the mountain. Not used yet, but it also has a detergent tube, so you could rig up a detergent bottle for the paintwork, if required.

You should be able to buy stainless or brass high pressure couplings Clive though perhaps not in Romania. I have some on my hose and it makes things much easier. If you can let me know what threads I can send you one for the lance end if you can't get hold of things like that where you are.

You should be able to buy stainless or brass high pressure couplings Clive though perhaps not in Romania. I have some on my hose and it makes things much easier. If you can let me know what threads I can send you one for the lance end if you can't get hold of things like that where you are.

Thats a mighty kind offer there Rich, I may take you up on that. First I'll try to get some couplings here, I'm sure they're available, it's just asking the right person at the right time.

The lad in work that helps me out is a good researcher, I'll give him a go.

It's a shame when something niggly like that spoils what's otherwise a very efficient and easy to use machine. It's easy to handle for its size and it's only when setting up and operating the lance in awkward places do you realize it needs some swivel couplings.

Thanks again, and I'll come back to you if they're not available here. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

You're welcome Clive. Trickiest thing may be finding what thread it is unless it's BSP.

How did you get on with this Clive?

Danke Alfa fur …err (what's 'resurrecting the thread' in German?)

How did you get on with this Clive?

Danke Alfa fur …err (what's 'resurrecting the thread' in German?)

I haven't Rich, meaning I've made no checks or done anything useful, sorry.

I'm not very familiar with threads, I know this is fine, certainly not like a metric, UNF or BSF IIRC. I've got no means to measure anything other than a visual pitch count over a given length and a diameter measured with a ruler. That is to say I don't have a micrometer or a vernier or any thread gauges. :icon-rolleyes:

After the pud has been eaten, maybe I'll take some photos and put my glasses on for counting. My friendly helper came up with nothing when I asked him to research some suitable swivel joints.

The washer works fine, as I said, it's just a bit of a faff and tangle setting it up and stowing it away, that's all.

Last edited:
Reasonably accurate diameter (an adjustable spanner and tape measure is often useful if there's nothing else to hand) and teeth per dimension (inch usually or whatever measurement you can do that can be extrapolated).

Photos is good[emoji4] I hear they're popular on here. [emoji6]

Reasonably accurate diameter (an adjustable spanner and tape measure is often useful if there's nothing else to hand) and teeth per dimension (inch usually or whatever measurement you can do that can be extrapolated).

Photos is good[emoji4] I hear they're popular on here. [emoji6]

Yep, we like photos...:lol:

BTW, Santa's just been. Had a glass of Palinca with him, time for bed now (01:20, can't be bad :thumbup:)

Last edited:
Aha, let's hope he burns that off, he'll get breathalysed round here!!

Just about to hit the sack too.

Let's hope I did all the swearing for the holiday in one go today!!

Merry Christmas Clive, I'll wager Ana will be up and awake excited very early tomorrow. Kids make Christmas. [emoji5]️

Woke up this morning to the sound of my daughter playing the piano that Santa brought for her.

She'd discovered where all the cables went, pedal control and the power lead. So excited!

7 years old, what to say?

That's what its all about mate , i am sat here bored and banned from the kitchen waiting impatiently to see a video of my grandsons reaction to his first christmas of an age he can fully comprehend and anticipate santa's visit , that's what will make this a special day for me .

I have an Italian "jetbox". My friend was taking it up the tip so I gave him £20 and risked being able to mend it. It just needed the nozzle unblocked. It's very well made and serviceable. "o" rings sometimes need replacing. Last week the high pressure hose split and the washer is obsolete so I bought a hose off ebay and made the inner fitting, outer tube and sleeve. Then I had to make a crimper and crimp the outer sleeve on.

coupling (2).JPG

So if you see a "jetbox" bag it.

Back