Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

green fingers

Gary820

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Back at the start of spring my daughter lily was given some sun flower seeds at nursery, we'd planted in a pot in the dining room and they grew well, they got transfered to the garden and kept growing.

Tallest one got to 4.3 meters tall and had multiple flower heads :icon-biggrin:

20140905_170147.jpg

20140922_165724.jpg

Its 'stem' was more a trunk and needed a saw to cut it down today!!
It was dying off so we've taken the flower heads off to dry out and we'll remove all of the seeds for next year, the tall one produced 17 flower heads on its own

20141019_134120.jpg

And the crowning glory as proudly displayed by lily, it's bloody heavy too

20141019_134120.jpg
20141019_134201.jpg
got her into gardening and loves helping out pruning the other plants and cutting the grass etc.

Last edited:
That's a fair lump of a plant, did something similar with my little fella last year, plant was named seamus the sunflower...lol

Mick

Never named them but wanted to measure them every day lol. In total got 30 useable heads for the seeds and she wants some for her friends.
We'll give some to the school as they give them to the nursery kids in spring. Will have plenty to spare

:clap: I'm sure your her hero for doing that ......... but i don't envy you trying to explain why you can't grow a money tree in a few years time :lol:

She's got her money tree shayne ...... flutters her eye lids at grandad :lol:

Nice story, and a happy ending. Looks like that sunflower has some GM or steroids or there's something in the water, what a beauty!

Ana had a bean in a jam-jar with blotting paper, you know the drill.

Now it's a has-bean...:(

It grew well enough, till her dad foolishly suggested planting it in the garden, where it immediately died. :doh:I was well popular.:whistle:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's the Yorkshire Water Clive lol, bit of plant food didn't go amiss either :icon-wink:

We're not keen gardeners and I was surprised they grew so well tbh. Lily watered them everyday, even wanted to when it was raining lol. Normally our plants die off quite quick but everything is thriving since she put her self in charge!

Wow! The ones in the fields round here have gone all brown and are being harvested for seed for next year :( they look so nice in august though - well done Lily :)

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Typically, as with other countries, sunflower fields look like this here, but they're one head one plant usually and as Steve says, they're all brown and harvested by now.

image.jpg

She'd love those fields, told me she wants to fill the garden next year! Have to keep an eye on her with the seeds lol.

Wants lots of daffodils too like a canvas picture we have up in the front room, taken on our wedding day of Emma and myself stood in a massive field full of them.

Back