Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC120 VSC warning ligts etc

stuart j

Strange problem this weekend – towing 1,600 kgs trailer with my 2009 LC120 Invincible when dash board suddenly lit up with ABS warning, VSC TRC & VSC OFF yellow lights, skidding car pic – and rear fog light on! No problem apparent while driving, but stopping and restarting several times had no effect.

Warning lights stayed on for 120 miles, but then disconnected trailer, ran around a few miles without, towed trailer home again all with no problem. It isn’t a problem with trailer electrics as all fine now – so I imagine some form of sensor issue, but the rear fog lights coming on (and they were on, it wasn’t just the warning light, and I couldn’t turn ‘em off again)is a bit baffling.
Any ideas please before I ask Mr T to run his expensive diagnostics?

Thank you for any help.

Check hat your alternator is charging batteries?

Can't help with cause but a 2009 will support OBD 2 so you can get a scanner from eBay and check it yourself I think?
Sounds like alternator but then again I don't tow.

Did you push your centre diff lock button? that will illuminate most of those lamps

Quick update – have now covered many miles without trailer on and no problem, and 200 miles towing having given all trailer electrics a good shake and squirt of WD40. No problem at all, so I’m sure it is flaky towing electrics on the LC or on the trailer wiring which is the root cause.
Thanks you for all thoughts, guys, great forum!
Stuart

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Strange problem this weekend – towing ... dash board suddenly lit up with ABS warning, VSC TRC & VSC OFF yellow lights, skidding car pic ... a bit baffling.

I've had the same problem a couple of times with a 2005 LC120, but I don't think fog lights were involved. Occasional problem only. I don't own a trailer and borrow them occasionally from DIY shops. I put it down to trailer wiring, but it's a bit disconcerning. Let me know if you find any solution/underlying problem.

Something rings a bell about the trailer wiring needing to have special connections and relays. Pretty sure the details are on the Toyotech.eu site under accessory documents

Hi Stuart, had the exact same issue with my LC120, turned out that the towing electrical adapter was not properly earthed to body

Hi, ADK, thanks for that, but could you please explain '.......the towing electrical adapter was not properly earthed to body..' please?!

Pin 1 (Ground) on the trailer plug (Car end) was not properly connected to the body of my LC, so whenever I stepped on the brake with the head lights on all lights on the trailer would lit up and then the VSC warning lights would come on and stay on. Only way I could then clear it was by disconnecting the trailer plug and switching the LC off and on again. Hope it makes sense?

Back