Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Overland Trailers .

Shayne

Guru
I can't find one that ticks more than 2 out of 5 boxes for me , what's your fav ?

Last edited:
I'd love a trailer. Not a mahoosive one, but a sort of two person size with kitchen etc. There's some very nice ones out there. The Bushwaka one is lovely too. Obvious here in the UK there's a 1000% premium to be paid on everything. I'd liek to buy one elsewhere and bring it back.

No I am not making one. I'd want to be able to TIG ally first.

For me there all a bit obsessive with cubby holes and slide out drawers and cookers and god knows what else and then for the most part you end up standing outside cooking in the rain and sleeping in a roof tent anyway .

This here is on the right track i think if it had a deeper tub so a sink/cooker could remain in place , and it didn't have so many windows . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag2d1PISqGg

I don't want an all bells and whistles accessory , instead i want something that will go anywhere and allow me to eat sleep and sit in basic comfort while i wait out a 48 hour storm .

I have looked at loads of the trailers when we go to SA and they are amazing but still not that quick to put up ok if you are going to a national park for a week and want 1 base camp but touring i am not so sure.
The best concept i think is these http://giccampertrailers.com.au/ i am thing of making something like it when i get time but something has come up again and i am not sure when the spare time will be here now.
I do like that j$$p one shane nice and simple lots of room.
stu

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Many years ago, 1998 I nearly bought one similar to the Courage but I underwent a life change and moved to the UK.

This is our setup that we lived in, in relative comfort, for almost 9 months. It followed everywhere we dared to take the car, over rocks, dunes, through rivers, a cyclone... and only thing that went wrong was the electrical plugs ripped off when we hit an unexpected speed bump in the outback, and the one weld on the stone guard mount cracked after weeks of corrugations.

car&camper.JPG

camper.JPG

I nearly brought a very similar tent to that earlier in the year. how long does it take to put up. the chap that owned it said about 20min which put me off.
stu

Getting the tent up without awning takes about 5 minutes. Doing the full setup with awning up, kitchen out, etc maybe 30 minutes.

I share your issue with assembly time Stu but have come to realize that it takes 5 minutes to boil a kettle when you have something to do and 45 minutes to boil a kettle when you have nothing to do and sit there watching it . Awnings are for long stays and i don't intend to bring one on the Romania trip .

the chap with the one for sale was saying that it took 20 mins to put the main part up if its just 5 min that fine but you dont want to speand 20 putting up then 20 min putting down in the same day it will soome get boring and i may as well use my bell tent in that case.
I would only put the awning up is staying in the same place for more then a night. what make and model is yours please fridayman?

Can you supply some better pictures of your coupling please as well. what sort of material is it ?

bet you cant put much weight on your roofrack.....

It looks like a treg hitch; we were looking at a custom retailer that was the same track as a 105, and shared wheel hubs. Their big modifications to the norm was mounting the tent above the drawbar box, which allowed for a shorter trailer overall. Very simple with a Drifta kitchen and a heavy quality canvas, weighed about 900kg from memory with water etc on board.

Stu I know you're active on LCCSA so keep an eye open on the classifieds there - decent trailers pitch up for sale fairly often.
I like the Conquerors but really like the Imagine Comfortvan stuff though ::)
www.imagine-trailvan.co.za/Comfortvan/comfort_overview.html

they are very nice but i dont think i would like the idea of all that weight being draged along behind me. i did look at the conquerors when at a show in Pretoria. they are very clever how they fold up and out.
have you ever been to the La sport on the steve biko road in Pretoria top shop to look in with a offroad track out the back with bar and braai area.

look on google maps near the train sidings.

Back