Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Buying suggestions for trailer axle please

Shayne

Guru
750kg to a tonne , braked and needs to accept 33" tyres or thereabouts . The box width of 55 inch needs to fit between the tyres . I would go for indespension for simplicity but it looks like they don't accept large wheels . I think the trailer i've got has an Alko axle with 10" 4 stud wheels but as best as i can tell the pcd is 4" which limits wheel choices drastically . Besides i whipped one off to measure the pcd and the studs don't look strong enough for much bigger wheels . I've been searching most of the night and the best thing i've found is a ford transit leaf sprung axle .

Can anyone suggest anything better ?

Hi shane i have a link to a custom axle chap i was put onto. If you pm me your phone number i will send it over to you i just don't know how to copy and paste stuff on my phone. What trailer tent have you got now?

Link deleated as i dont want somebody buying stuff on my ebay account.

Last edited:
That worked then learnt something new

Hi Stu, you can learn more.

If you want to say go to this link, then type the words, highlight the word you want to be active (in this case "this") and then click on the link icon and enter the link into the dialogue box (as you did before).

Then you'll have an active hyperlinked word in your text.

:thumbup: Easy peasy :lol:

The link just sends me to ebay home page Stu i will pm my number now but if its anyone on ebay believe me i trawled it already for hours . I found the made to measure indespension fella but an exhaustive web search says a 4x13 wheel is about as big as indespension can accept .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just thought i don't have interdebt set up on my phone so you can't send me a link that way either !

Thats the right link shane send him a message as he used to make custom axles for trailers not sure if he still does or not. I brought a sankey and having a set of spacers made to convert to the jap wheel pattern.
I am going to fabricate a solid tow hitch with a uj and pair of yokes attached to a dixon bate drop hitch.

Thanks will look at the link clive but i am against modern tec so not very good with anything other then the basics.
Stu

Shayne, I know it was a long time ago when I was knocking up trailers, but indespension make units to more than a tonne. Bigger section rubber, bigger axle dias, and bigger braked hub units.

My boat was 1.5 tonnes and that was on a trailer with indespension braked hub units, worked a treat. :thumbup:

Were you signed in to ebay when you copied the link Stu ? if so it won't let me in and instead directs me to ebay homepage . I seen a wicked ready made coupling somewhere Stu i will post it here if i can find it again .

Clive i actually prefer indespension as i think leaf springs are wasted on a trailer unless it's very heavy indeed , under a ton needs only damping suspension the problem is i can't find a single reference to indespension supporting 16" wheels .

Hol17ys he has nothing for sale at the mo but i will send him an email Stu cheers :thumbup:

Thanks Clive i think i have been searching blind after spending a few hours trying to find a way to make the axle i've got suitable . The 1500kg sets in your link do offer a 16" wheel , I really hope to keep the trailer below 750kg but maybe parts are interchangeable and they can mix and match to give me what i want :think: I had accepted they were all 4 stud so must have the same pcd as well , again i must have been blinded by my previous search :icon-rolleyes:

If you're worried about loadings, you could consider twin axles and smaller units to suit.

They ride like a dream, stable no sway and the trailer off the truck is more stable.:think:

I'm not looking for anything fancy Clive the more basic it is the better . Fact is i personally think there is not a single trailer tent/folding camper on the market that isn't better than any off road , overland , adventure trailer you can buy even if cost was not an issue . So my plan is to get a trailer intended for nothing more extreme than a weekend at a caravan park and jack it up , whack big wheels on and strengthen it . Indespension is my preference because it's both simple to fit and it allows far more ground clearance than an axle would .

Shayne.

Why not simply start the build from either a 90 or 80 series rear axle?

I have had 3 sets of axles spec'd for up to 35"x12.5" tyres on the PCD, offset etc to suit tow vehicle wheels (100 series, an Audi A8 and 80 series) so you can definitely get what you want Shayne. I used www.towingandtrailers.co.uk and dealt with a guy called Peter Burrows and couldn't have been happier with the service he gave. The last set to match the 80 I've gone for softride units which should give a more controlled ride than the standard ones which can be a bit bouncy when lightly loaded.

Back