Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Key Fobs

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
Has anyone found any decent replacements? Seem to get through at least one a year. Admitedly at about a fiver a pop from eBay. Always crack at the bottom of the fob where the metal key attaches.

Might seem like a stupid question but whats the keyfob for?
Is it just to hang your keys on or is it an electronic access fob?:think:

Might seem like a stupid question but whats the keyfob for?
Is it just to hang your keys on or is it an electronic access fob?:think:

I may be using the wrong term, but vendors on ebay agree with me (as an example see below URL). The black plastic bit that holds the key blank. Admittedly they come as a single unit. I could equally have called it a key.

Anyway I find the plastic breaks fairly quickly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-LA...100?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cb7d50a54

Sorry, i was barking up the wrong tree! just checked mine and it seems ok, genuine Toyota one though, no idea how old? maybe original?

Mine seem to break between where the metal key enters the plastic and the first button. Toyota keys were on their way out when I bought it at 6 years old. Have got through 2 cheapy replacements in 3 years with a third now held together with insulating tape.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Re cracking standard keys - I found the same thing, both on the original Toyo keys and the cheap ebay ones.
I tried to change to one of the flip keys. It also wore out within a year. I wouldn't get a flip key again, though, because it caused periodic problems with the immobiliser. I think the fact that the transponder is a bit further back (away from the antenna in the ignition) and maybe that there is a bit more plastic around the base of the key caused difficulties in "reading" the transponder chip. It's really disconcerting to have the engine turn over while that bloody red key-light is blinking away!
So anyone thinking about switchblade keys should think carefully!

Back