Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Crumbly steering wheel

Bob

Supporter
Country Flag
ireland
Well, after 236,000 miles, my steering wheel has finally decided to begin proper disintegration....

IMAG0393_BURST003_zpszlxdireg.jpg

IMAG0392_zpses9snbrv.jpg

IMAG0390_zpsrzxgibim.jpg

A combination of wear and cold damp weather has taken it's toll. I don't want to get a cheap halfords wheel cover. Are the eBay stitch on replacements any good? I fear going to a scrappy will give me the same problem in a few months

Any other ideas welcome..

I recall a few threads about a high-quality leather replacement trim that people were using. They gave very good results.

I didn't keep the link but a search may find it. It could even be on 'the other side'.

Bob.

I did a search there Bob, and found Karl's thread about the exchange service he offers. They look very impressive, but add in the shipping cost to Ireland and it becomes a very expensive fix for me. Roughly €250 all in by the looks of things. That's a bit saucy for me at the moment to be honest.

Cheers Karl, that's what I thought, it'll have to wait for now I think. Would you reckon a stitch on job would be an ok interim fix?

Stitch on are fine. Can get them off eBay for 15£

I bought two before I started searching for someone to do them properly as the 15£ ones are a cheap looking fix. Jmo.

my two 15£ ones are still sat in the draw lol

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My DIY one looks like this

Wheel cover.jpg

I'd love one of Karls but for the moment this is working very well. It's stitched tight and doesn't move at all and is so much better than the horrid looking original. It's not a fluffy slip on one at least.

That doesn't look too bad Chris, think I'll go for one of them for now. It's a real pain to drive as the leather has gone sticky and crumbly, leaving craps on my hands if I do anything other than 'granny feed' the wheel through my hands...

I bought a cheap wheel cover from hafrauds as a temporary solution , must be 2 years ago now and i've never thought about it since so it must match the 90 interior quite well . I would like one of Karl's though wonder if they recover the gearstick knob as well ?

image.jpgimage.jpgHere's one of mine. To be honest you simply can't compare. But obviously they come at a price. Personally for me I couldn't sit holding one of the £15 stitch on covers every time I drive my truck. I don't usually like spending money unless I have to but the wheel was a must for me.

Shayne. My guy does the gear knobs at £35 plus the post. Again,not cheap but depends wht you want.

I have seen karls wheels and they really are top notch. I am a tight ass and i would buy one if i needed one to be fair.
Stu

You tight Stu. Come on..........

Blood from a stone springs to mind ...:icon-wink:

What ever i just like to make sure the money goes in the right place.

Must resist temptation Karl , the trailer is gonna cost a lot more than she expects :shifty: :eusa-shhh: but maybe in the future .

No doubts about quality Karl, looks superb. Where there is a doubt is with the liquidity of my finances!!

If your leather gear knobs are looking ropey and you have a VX with the wood (effect) paneling, matching wooden knobs look very good. I got 2 from ebay, the main one from a Jag (can't remember the model) and a smaller one for the transfer lever from some guy who turns them out to size. My leather knobs were/are in pretty good shape but I just like the look and feel of wood. As for the steering wheel I fitted a glove just after buying the LC to keep the OE cover in good shape. I found that, during the course of servicing and maintenance etc, the wheel gets very grubby so a wipe clean glove makes sense for me. JMO

Last edited:
Karls recovered wheels are a proper job. I bought one and a gearknob knob for my truck. Best investment yet. Better than factory in my opinion. Definitely worth trying to save a few quid here and there. tidies up the interior no end.

Cheers, mark

Back