Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Where to get the Rear Diff Lock Detection Switch from.

Angelfire

Country Flag
great_britain
I have the dreaded Flashing red diff lock on the dash, seems it is because the rear diff lock detection switch is Kaput. When selected, solid red should be showing, so I am told.

Been looking on the net for a replacement switch for a couple of hours, and cannot find one anywhere. Milners have the actuator but not the switch.

So a simple request - any fellow 100 series owners know of the whereabouts of one of these switches.

Phil*

Main dealer?

Just because the light is flashing it doesn't mean that the detent switch isn't working. It might just be that the locker isn't locked. I'd check that first.

Welcome to the forum, don't forget to post an introduction. Thanks

If they are the same as the 80 series then I'd have one.

As Chris said it could just be the locker has stopped would.

These switches DO go. Not sure why, but I have never managed to resurrect one. But I have had more lockers fail than switches.

Thank you for the excellent answers. My mechanic man wants to try the switch first as it's the cheapest option before going for a new locker.

Is this relevant to the question, when he "shorts" out the lock detection switch with a paper clip, the flashing red icon on the dash becomes solid without any flashing, as it should do, yes?.

Phil*

Last edited:
Sounds like a dodgy test to me , take the switch to any computer repair shop and they will tell you if it works correctly or not , probably for free .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's not that sort of switch Shayne.

If he shorts the plug that goes onto the detent switch and the light goes solid red, all it proves is that the wire to the bulb is OK. Basically, it's pretty pointless. If he unscrews the switch, plugs it back into the loom and presses the ball bearing in and the light goes solid then the switch is fine. If it doesn't then the switch is faulty. You can do a test across the terminals of the plug using a meter to test impedance, but frankly, just plug it in and press it with your thumb. It's easier. If the detent switch proves OK it doesn't mean your locker is done for. It just means it's not locked. Put the car in low range so that the centre diff is locked and then activate the rear locker. If you hear a click, that's good. if you hear a click and slight whirr then even better. That means that things are firing, but just not engaging. Drive in a circle, reverse in an opposite circle and your locker should lock eventually. Maybe a tap with a small mallet might help. If you hear a click and no whirr at all, then it sounds like the motor needs a look see.

my twopennyworth

with the centre diff lock free (so drive won't go to the front axle), jack up one wheel at the rear on a trolley jack on wheels. Lock the rear diff. try and (carefully) move the vehicle forwards a fraction. if it moves, the diff lock is working, if it doesn't, it isn't. If it isn't, bypass the switch, then try the same, if it rolls forward, the switch is shagged, if it doesn't, the difflock is shagged.

Any autoelectrician should be able to check the switch for you though, I would imagine, if it's like most other electrical switches, you just check the electrical continuity of the 'cable in' to the 'cable out' with switch on and switch off.

Last edited:
my twopennyworth

with the centre diff lock free (so drive won't go to the front axle), jack up one wheel at the rear on a trolley jack on wheels. Lock the rear diff. try and (carefully) move the vehicle forwards a fraction. if it moves, the diff lock is working, if it doesn't, it isn't. If it isn't, bypass the switch, then try the same, if it rolls forward, the switch is shagged, if it doesn't, the difflock is shagged.

Any autoelectrician should be able to check the switch for you though, I would imagine, if it's like most other electrical switches, you just check the electrical continuity of the 'cable in' to the 'cable out' with switch on and switch off.

if the 100 series is the same as my 90 you cant activate the rear locker unless its in low range with the centre diff locked. so this wont work.

By making references across different cruisers, 80, 90 & 100 we might be confusing the OP.

On the 80 & the 90 series, the centre diff lock (CDL) has to be activated before the rear diff lock can be activated. This is likely to be the case on the 100 as well, but I don't know this.

On the 80 the CDL can be activated by either selecting low ratio or by the dash CDL switch (if fitted).

Either way, Chris' advice is best, take out the detent switch and manually activate it, if the flashing red light doesn't go solid, then you know that the detent switch is faulty and should be replaced.

What is more important is whether the rear diff lock is working. Testing that is covered by Chris and by Silvercruiser, so try that.

On my 80, the front locker light goes solid, but the rear doesn't. Do I care? No! Because I know they're both working fine! :lol:

The flashing lights can go to hell for all I care, I just want the lockers to be working, and they do :thumbup:

Hi Gang,

Things are progressing, slowly but surely. I have found a detent switch so if one is required that's no problem.

Now, here is another question. Does the detent switch have any influence on the working of the diff locker at all. Or is the switch just to tell the driver that the rear diff is locked by the red light on the dash. The reason I ask is that when the switch is engaged in the cab, I hear no click or whirr from the back axel. I am starting to think maybe the locker is kaput as well as the detent switch.

AFAIK no, the indent switch just physically monitors what position the locker is in. If the locker's not working, then the indent switch will show that with its flashing light.

Follow Chris' advice above, they're easy to check.

Maybe the locker is kaput and the indent switch is OK. :think:

Does the detent switch have any influence on the working of the diff locker at all. Or is the switch just to tell the driver that the rear diff is locked by the red light on the dash.

The switch is at the end of the line. There is a cam on the locker selector fork that activates the switch when the locker is fully engaged. The switch tells the Transmission ECU which causes the light to flash or remain steady.

The motor should work without the switch being activated.

If your diff locker looks like this . . . Its knackered :icon-rolleyes:.

DSCN3417_zps1b0d0809.jpg

A nice new Milner's Locker looks like this:

DSCN3427_zpse3829ba9.jpg

Pity mine doesn't work :oops:.

I elected to remove the diff in order to carefully free-off the corroded lump that had been a locker :lol:.

DSCN3449_zps4bb66b5f.jpg

DSCN3460_zpsb3ae6287.jpg

DSCN3462_zpsf9040a18.jpg

While the half Shafts were out I replaced the rusted-out brake dust shields that should hold the handbrake pull-off springs - but weren't.

DSCN3437_zpsb93e0802.jpg

On the '100-Series' the dust shields are part of the brake caliper mount, they cost £460 each :shock:.

DSCN3434_zpsdf30ed78.jpg

It helps if you have a big press :icon-wink:.

DSCN3468_zpsfeb2b5b0.jpg

And/or a large hydraulic bearing splitter.

DSCN3466_zpseb265e20.jpg

All ready to go back - pity it wouldn't fit under the truck :icon-rolleyes:.

DSCN3480_zps3b02c7d5.jpg

After struggling with blocks of wood I got it aligned.

DSCN3487_zpsb4a0a379.jpg

After connecting everything up I went to test it with eager anticipation . . . Nothing, I guess I have a wiring fault somewhere :icon-evil:.

DSCN3491_zpsde4e9bda.jpg

As usual, two steps forward and one step back. The saga continues.

Bob.

Nice clean work though Bob, 10/10 for that! You'll have it clicking and whirring in no time, for sure! :thumbup:

Wow, pretty amazing pictures. Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

Phil*

It's what we do, Phil.

I'm trundling up to my mechanic man on Monday morning, we will be trying to bottom the problem - hopefully.

Phil*

Sorry to be a pest, but can the Lockers be repaired if it's an internal problem, or would it be prudent to change the Locker and the switch.

Phil*

Magnets can often be glued back on successfully, but the main failure that's terminal is corrosion.

Best just see what's up with it first. Very often they just need freeing off. It's not a hugely powerful mechanism and lack of use often means they go to sleep and need a bit of a nudge

Back