Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clonk!

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
On r/h and l/h low speed corners (worse on l/h bends) at low speed, perhaps 20-30mph I am getting a loud CLONK! Higher speeds are no problem, no noise at all. I am guessing bushes, poss front as noise seems (and feels) to be coming from there and feels like r/h side. Would it be lower control arm bushes? I have read some stuff on here and it appears to be a s1ht of a job, any other suggestions?

Anti roll bar bushes ? , i had one go it made no difference except when parking .

mmm, been out this afternoon, and clonk gone....maybe the hole I went in at speed on the mud track into the village has shaken it (whatever it was) lose!

Thing is, .......nah, there is a bottle of water rolling round in the boot! No vino, doesnt last long enough ;)

You've just jogged my memory, a while ago, pre the last Lincomb, I reinstalled my fridge, later I noticed this clonk on braking and acceleration, after days of searching I found, you've probably guessed already, yes there was an unused beer can in the fridge which suffered the usual fate at Lincomb.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You've just jogged my memory, a while ago, pre the last Lincomb, I reinstalled my fridge, later I noticed this clonk on braking and acceleration, after days of searching I found, you've probably guessed already, yes there was an unused bean can in the fridge which suffered the usual fate at Lincomb.

Fixed :icon-biggrin:

Can't have mistakes like that, unused beer, doesn't exist!

Last edited:
mmm, clonks back :(
But, occasionally on road, never at speed, can be going straight and it clonks, but off road on rough tracks its clonking away like a good 'un! Cant quite put a finger on where the sound is coming from, but its metallic, and 'appears' to come from r/h side, 2/3rds the way down rear door /wheel sort of area. Would a worn bush do this? Getting annoyed with it as I cant find it :thumbdown:

could it be a dropped spanner or socket inside a panel from the recent repairs?

Body mount bush or the body mount has rusted through and banging metal on metal. Alternatively rear door bottom hinge?

It doesnt feel like a spanner, more a 'thumpy' clonk!
(I know, sounds stupid ;) )
I recon its a bush somewhere - I will have to get it on a lift to have a mooch about.

Its probably been said before but its not your jack is it ?

no, thats laying under the false floor......no, its not that either, deffo from back r/h side underneath....I will try and get it on a recording or something, make the mrs sit in the boot, whilst hammering down a rough track should do it!
:shifty: :angry-nono: :laughing-rolling:

Upper control arm bushes
Lower control arm bushes
Antiroll bar links, and bushes and stirrup bushes
Rear door hinges
Rear door door catch
Body-chassis mounts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top shock absorber mounting.

Upper steering knuckle ball joint or mounting.

Rear gearbox mounting on cross-member.

Exhaust hitting chassis.

(It'll be something simple :icon-rolleyes:).

Bob.

rear and front shocks changed a few k ago, with new mounts at front. Steering knuckle - poss, as is gearbox mounting, pretty sure not zorst as doesnt move when kicked/wiggled.

Might get an RV at the new 4x4 place in Perigueux, he should know his onions!

I had a clunk like this, and it was lower trailing arm bush on drivers side. 4 new ones and no more clunk

Cheers Bob, was it an easy job?
The ones from rough trax are about 40 quid + delivery, and are a set for both sides.

Back