Vernier

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Folks,

I am in need of a better vernier than the one I have now.
paquimetro823-160bmannesmann.jpg

If you measure something 3 times you get 4 answers - normally swinging about 1mm each way over a 30mm piece.
I got mine from Maplin for £9.99 and I have seen the exact same one with various different names on it.

With trying to copy stuff for the helicopters it became very apparent that what I was measuring and putting into CAD and what was printed were very different.
Something that according to the spec is 20mm wide reads 18.9 on mine. A spacing of 16 was coming in at 15.5.

Not sure if I am being too fussy but it would be handy if it read exactly what it should be.

I used to have a good old-fashioned one which I quite liked.

Anyone got a good make that they know is more accurate than this?

Cheers,
CP

There is a thread on here with some recommendations... search is your friend :whistle:

What is this search of which you speak? :shifty:

/goes off to search

Old-school or digital? Would the digital have a trade-off of some sort?
Had two (admittedly) crap digital ones so don't want to spend £70 on another one when I should have bought a analogue one in the first place.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
They all do the job so my choice would be the one with the best case . The cheap old school one i got from screwfix will probably out last me unless i drive over the case .

I bought a Mitutoyo which arrived this morning. It reads 10.01mil while the other one is 10.74 and 20.08 while the other one is 21.03.

Cost enough so I'll look after this one
:icon-exclaim:

Thanks for the advice chaps

Back