Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hzj81 ???

Steveindar

Country Flag
tanzania
Hi All,

My new (to me) LC80 (which I haven't received yet) supposedly has an HZJ81 motor. I fail to find any reference to such, is it possible and what makes it different to the HZJ80?

Cheers

AFAIK the HZJ81 was built for the Japan market and had barn doors at the back instead of the split tailgate setup of the 80's. The engine will probably be a 1HZ, 4.2 NA diesel.

AFAIK the HZJ81 was built for the Japan market and had barn doors at the back instead of the split tailgate setup of the 80's. The engine will probably be a 1HZ, 4.2 NA diesel.

This sounds plausible. Mine is an HZJ80 European spec, and that has barn doors, smaller one on the left and a larger one on the right which would presumably be reversed on a RHD model.

AFAIK (which may not be much) the suffix "1" means built for the Japanese (home) market, as opposed to Export elsewhere. UK models all had lift up & drop down tailgates, again just AFAIK.

Steveindar, I'm interested to know how she runs. I've tried on this forum to ask about performance, but most of the active members have HDJ80s, with the turbo.

I'm used to mine performing like a slug on steroids, but some honest comparative feedback on top speed, consumption, and the like would be interesting.

Mine struggles over 120kph and the max speed I have ever had is 135kph on the level, but with a strong tailwind! I'm not after speed at all, but I do want it to be running at its best optimum.

I've always suspected the injector pump, it's got 360k kms on the clock after all, but I can't find a reliable traditional deisel mechanic that I could trust to check/reset it.

Can we compare some notes please, when you get the truck?

Last edited:
There seem to be a few generally better differences in the 81 models for the JDM market. For on thing my manual HDJ81 with a 12 valve engine takes a clutch of the stronger type as used in the 24 valve UK spec models. This is standard for a manual HDJ81 according to Milner, nothing to do with the box having been changed.

AFAIK this is pretty standard fare for JDM cars which tend to be built to the highest possible spec compared to those for other markets.

Thanks for the quick answers. This model was imported directly from Japan and has the Tailgate split up/down, could the engine have been changed? It is an auto so no clutch?? I will be pleased to share performance figures as soon as she arrives on my doorstep and I get some km's on her.
I am currently at sea-level but will be moving to about 1500m after new year, would that make a difference?

The injection of a HZJ is different from a HDJ. Adding a turbo on a HZJ will not be the same as a HDJ. HZJ is not built for turbo charging. It can be done, but it has the be a smaller turbo to keep it reliable.
On the other hand, a HZJ doesn't need as much maintenance on the injection system as a HDJ. Normally a HDJ should have better mileage.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's an interesting piece of info I didn't know, thanks Geert[emoji39]

They also have a different head. I am pretty sure the block and bottom end are the same.
Stu

As the 1hz and 1hdt are ancestors of the 2h and 12ht.. the normally aspirated versions of both eras do accept an aftermarket turbo but you can't get away with too much fueling and excessive boost .
Both have different heads and fuel systems, both turbo versions have piston oil cooling and bigger (thicker) pistons etc. Blocks do look the same but Internaly heavier built.

I am currently at sea-level but will be moving to about 1500m after new year, would that make a difference?

Sorry I know nothing about the engine you mention and I am unsure how much the difference that altitude will affect if any but, I do know turbocharged engines tends to be less affected. I live at sea level and my non turbo diesel van noticeably lacks 'oomph' at 500 metres which I have to get over to move inland two or three times per week, my HDJ80 is completely un-phased by it, and for performance comparison, I have (allegedly :whistle: ) had the speedometer needle hit the trip reset button on mine so even allowing for some speedo 'optimism' the HDJ80 can really tramp on when pushed.

regards

Dave

I have (allegedly :eusa-whistle: ) had the speedometer needle hit the trip reset button

Yup, done that too....when I nose-dived an old S2a landy down a washout...in fact there wasn't a hell of a lot of anything that wasn't touching something else it shouldn't have...
:icon-cool:

Bertha...my newish 80..arrives on Tuesday
:dance: Till then will hold back on the stupid questions...:silent:

The injection of a HZJ is different from a HDJ. Adding a turbo on a HZJ will not be the same as a HDJ. HZJ is not built for turbo charging. It can be done, but it has the be a smaller turbo to keep it reliable.
On the other hand, a HZJ doesn't need as much maintenance on the injection system as a HDJ. Normally a HDJ should have better mileage.

Geert, just for you information, the HZ engine was made in a turbo version known as 1HZ-T and many thousands of them were fitted to Coaster busses, model was HZB-51 I think.
They were available with or without factory intercooler.
Cheers, PhillT

So, she's here!.

First impression, good nick, rides well, has gas shocks and slightly raised. No legroom!!!:wtf: I'm 6'2" and I feel like I'm too close to the steering wheel and my legs are cramped. Passenger side the same, can't stretch my legs out. Is there a seat fix for this to get the seats to move further back?

Attachments

• IMG_20141126_131829.jpg
    IMG_20141126_131829.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_20141126_131746.jpg
    IMG_20141126_131746.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_20141126_075047.jpg
    IMG_20141126_075047.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 276
Hi there,

I have a petrol auto and 6'3" and loads of leg room only vehicle I have driven where I can straighten my legs out whilst drving. Just check the seat adjustment isnt stuck and lift the steering wheel.
Up until October I was in Ford Explorer talk about shake n rattle, the cruiser is much much smoother.

Enjoy your new vehicle

<- Mine was a HZJ80L-GNMNS, made by the Africa Division, in 1997. It was speced at 126 HP, and went well at highway speeds. 150 - 160 Km/h OK. When I had both the HDJ100 (2000) and the HZJ80, I would just as likely use the 80 for driving on a trip lasting a couple of days of highway driving. They were quite similar in comfort and performance, although the accelleration was better on the 100, and the suspension better on washboard.
At work, we also had a fleet of 80s, and they were OK also on the HW, although they were used more on smaller roads, and not driven that fast. The few petrol versions we had, 4.5 l, did go better tho'.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I have a petrol auto and 6'3" and loads of leg room only vehicle I have driven where I can straighten my legs out whilst drving. Just check the seat adjustment isnt stuck and lift the steering wheel.
Up until October I was in Ford Explorer talk about shake n rattle, the cruiser is much much smoother.

Enjoy your new vehicle

Checked seat rails, all good. Seat pushed to the stops, no change???

Steering column has no adjustment

Had the fundi around to check the AC, low on gas! Sweating around the compressor, will need to sort that at some stage and do a service on the evaporator and check thermostat operation. Anyway, he added a bit of gas so mama's all happy again. Are the compressors rebuild-able or does it mean a replacement? Can get a 2nd-hand for around Tsh200,000 or about $120 plus installation

Back