Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Darting / lurching to the left under braking

MuckyPup

It's been doing this a while now, nothing too scary so I wasn't unduly worried.
Driving along and hit the brakes it'll suddenly dart left, you wouldn't want to be unprepared for it......
Anyway, I know the pads are low and a year of laning without a proper wash / service i just sort of presumed a piston was seizing up.
It was only while I was lead under there doing the BEB's that i noticed the real cause.
027.jpg028.jpg029.jpg
Oops.....
That'll teach me to be so blase about things.
I know they're known for it with Poly bushes and lifts but this is on standard bushes.
Might be worth checking on a regular basis in future :eusa-whistle:

Hmmmm....not seen or heard of this before. Is the metal badly corroded at the breakage point? Doesn't look too bad in the pic. If it's not too badly corroded I guess it's just a stress fracture, are you getting it welded or does it mean a new axle?

There's a weld across the top of that bracket joining it to the axle and it appears that a stress crack propagates from the ends of it. Apparently known for it when running caster correction bushes, hence overland cruisers making dedicated castor correction weld on plates and using oe rubber bushes.
No corrosion of any note to be found so I just welded it back up in situ for now, I'll put overland plates on it and weld it up properly when I rebuild the axle.

That's not pretty is it? It looks like it would weld back, but I think I'd want another plate in the same thickness over the top of the existing.What's the other side like? There's nothing fancy about these brackets, they're simply welded onto the axle casing, so no reason they can't be re-welded onto the axle.The anti-roll bar mounting on the RHS of my axle failed in a similar way to this. That casing has gone now, as I'm running a RHD axle on my truck now. Had to weld a LHD panhard mount to it, of course.

Unsure why but I have seen it here despite the dryer weather, I do not think it is all related to corrosion or lifts for that matter. It is a high load area and as the age of these machines march on this will become as commonplace as the handbrake, BEB and manual gearbox issues/faults. Weld and as Clive pointed out get a plate over the top for strength, FWIW I get the local farm machine welder to do my welding work, these guys know their stuff..

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back