Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Will it work

If the plugs match should be no problem, were you thinking of buying from that seller? did you notice the shipping charge? that would make them expensive.

No Chas i just did a quick search to show what i was talking about , the hummer had one on it and its a far better socket than the stuff we use . My tow socket was lashed on with cable ties unsealed and untidy as a temporary lash up , 6 months later its still the same because its bloody ugly wherever you put it . Had some dry mouth moments on way home with the trailer late last night i've never seen so many coppers in a single journey and its not nice being right alongside one approaching a roundabout knowing your front indicators don't work and when you use them all the trailer lights will flash like hazard lights :wtf:

Been all through my truck today and can't find a fault so the tow socket obviously got wet and i need to fit one properly .

Shayne, wires are just wires. One socket to another as long as they're well terminated and in the right positions you'll be fine, just don't buy cheap sockets. Just can't understand why they use such stupid colours. White is earth. Huh? And black is... err I forget. See it's stupid.

Shayne, dunno if you have seen this before but it's worth going for a bypass relay if you don't have one already. Simply explained, it only takes a signal current from your Cruiser lights to trigger a relay. You take a power feed from your truck or your trailer battery and use that to power the lights. When you indicate, brake etc you vehicle lights don't supply the current to the trailer lights. And if you stick LED lights in there they hardly consume anything and are really clear. Cheap mod and well worth it. If you already have you trailer tow bar wiring in (which you have I guess) you just stick the ends of those into the new relay, add a live feed and connect the new wires into the socket.

I think for an adventure trailer it's a good idea. Better connections, better feed you even get a buzzer on some to say the indicator are working. Also make wiring up soooo much easier than farting around in tight spaces.

Nice trailer by the way

Here's a typical example. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...ccessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item2eb9d5b1bd

This is why your trailer is gonna be the starship enterprise compared to my "paint your wagon" Chris :lol:

Would i be right in thinking the wiring i have goes into the relay plus a live feed direct from battery so if i blow for example an indicator bulb on my truck the trailer indicator will still get the control signal and continue to work ?

You got it fella. It only needs a few millipedes of electrickery to fire the relay. So yes if a bulb goes or if things are a bit shonky, the relay fires and uses the power feed to illuminate the trailer lamps. If take my trailer (my quad bike trailer) and add it to the main vehicle you end up with 8 side lights and 12 indicators. All the extra stuff is essentially tapped into that main loom. If nothing else, put LED replacements in the trailer. You could say, Awe, I'd don't care about the trailer if none of the lights work, coppers aren't fussed. Personally I don't want to give anyone a valid excuse to stop me somewhere and start poking around. Especially if I am abroad and someone's looking for a little income support.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's on the shopping list then cheers :thumbup:

Last edited:
What it lets you do Shayne is pull the trailer plug wiring back up into the vehicle cut the crappy old ends off and make nice new connections and push nice new wires down through the body into the plug. Now, the only thing it won't do is alter the way in which the original person put the connections into the Toyota loom. If they were scotch locks and sticky tape, done in the rain by a blind man's dog then there's nothing for it but ot do it again properly, but if it's been grafted in well like mine was then you're good to go. You can buy fancy testers to plug into your socket. I just bought a cheap trailer board and used that. And at the end you still have a trailer board.

It was my fault no reason to doubt the original connections when i say a temp fix i mean an open cup no backing plate at all . Needs must and it got the trailer home on that occasion without problems which made me lax . My excuse is i was still debating what to do with the tow bar as well but now i have my trailer i have a fixed goal to aim for .

Back