Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New member interested in getting a LC.

mickrosco

Hi there. New guy not yet in ownership of a cruiser (hence why I posted in here and not the introduction part) but seriously looking into it. Have been looking into petrol v6 80 series. Was wondering if anyone could point me out any does and don'ts regards to buying them or better yet some reading material I can dig into so I'm not easting people's time with my questions. Not interested in diesel as it would be a road train for best basically. I have done all the off roading and mud plugging in both my Land Rover Discovery TD5 and V8. I know enough to know I want a big petrol engine with an auto box and stay ON road lol. Also towing a Suzuki SJ to offroad events and for running around in when I am not having to drive my works motor. I think any of you that do or have owned a 'best' car will know what I am looking for.

Sorry for the short story.

Thanks,
Mick.

Also in the UK if that changes any options available to me.

Last edited:
Apparently so but this is why I turned here as I haven't been having much luck finding out about them. I could be wrong I am new to cruisers.

Tried linking an ad from auto trader but not senior enough. But from a bit of tech from a website I found looks like it is an inline 6 and 4.2?

Last edited:
If you can find a V6 4.5 petrol, let us know. It'd be a first. Petrol or oil burner all came as an inline 6. You won't find a UK manual so just as well you want an auto. They do go very very well. Touch thirsty but well worth it. Some very decent examples around. Most people don't touch them because of the fuel cost. Prices generally therefore slightly lower than diesels. And often lower mileage too.

Oh, I would add, it's worth just driving a diesel 80 for comparison against the Tdi. It's a very different experience. Not trying to sell you one, just I have driven both (as in a Disco). I thought it was broken! The torque in these 80s is epic.

What sort of budget do you have? Clearly the newer the better. They don't rust much, but if you can shorten the odds it does help

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I know the Cruiser well Chris, and the owner. I sold him that fancy load restrainer. Its a cracking truck, he searched long and hard before buying it.

Andy

Yes looking at the location it's practically in your yard Andy. Not the Reverend's daughter by any chance?

Shame it's not an oil burner or I'd be headed out the door now. If it's as good as you say then it sounds ideal.

Mate you know if that had been an oil burner it would not have left the S25 postcode :laughing-rolling:. Its a cracking truck, it came past here every day and sounds great with its aftermarket exhaust, the tyres are hellish noisy though. I knew it was for sale about 6 weeks ago and asked Sam for photos to alert the forum but he didn't send any.
Andy

Yes that is the one I was trying to link. So to get it straight it IS a 4.5 but in line not a V. Something like that is exactly what I would be after but have to atleast wait for one of the Disco's to sell. Budget wise I'd say 5k tops.

And as for petrol vs diesel just preference really. Prefer driving them and working on them.

That one is a very good price and has some provenance too. Yes just to be clear, there isn't a VEE anything in an 80 series. ALL in line sixes. OK caveat for smart Alecs who always appear, I am not saying that some Hill Billy somewhere in CA hasn't dropped a V8 Chevy into an 80. I am saying through the normal channels there wasn't a V6 production model. You have to be so careful on here :icon-rolleyes:

they do a v6 petrol in the 70 series Chris

F*&^ off Stu. :lol: Or should I call you Alec. They do a V6 Mondeo as well.

sorry we always have to wind up chris he is the chef anarack on here.

Ok thanks for clearing that up. Not sure where I got that info from. Must admit I would love a v8 one lol but slapping a different engine in isn't straight forward. The diesel Disco is in for MOT at the minute and the guy doing it is on about buying it so I can hope hehe.

They of course do a V6 in the Colorado. Ahem.

Don't worry about the straight 6. If you need more power than the 4.5 delivers then you really do need help. Gary has a petrol burner and his other car's a BMW. Never heard him complain about it being slow. Ha ha the Beemer that is. Go and drive one, you won't be disappointed.

Back