Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

winch bumper or just winch?

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
i like the front end look of the 120 so i don't really want a winch bumper
thinking about fitting a Warn winch to my OEM bumper

my question is why do people fit steel winch bumpers?
do you need the extra protection?
[they're obviously heavy and look agressive IMO]

a mate said i'd change my mind when i break the OEM front bumper...;)

cheers

You can fit a winch into most bumpers but you still need to cut holes usually to take the carrier. You will also need a heavy duty mounting plate for the winch, normally bolted across the bottom of the main chassis members.
Why do people go for steel bumpers, 3 main reasons:
1. Somewhere strong to mount a winch and tow shackles and high lift jacking points etc.
2. improved entry angle, usually considerable
3. yes it is stronger protection

Last edited:
I don't like steel bumpers TP but oddly enough i think they improve the look of the 120 but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and i'm afraid i have to admit i don't like the look of the 120 anyway . Just look for a winch tray and you will get the idea as most are designed to go behind your factory bumper . Tell your mate you will believe you need a steel bumper WHEN and IF you break the OEM one . That's what i say , though i must admit i am always tempted to get one just for the aggressive look they give .

Tell your mate you will believe you need a steel bumper WHEN and IF you break the OEM one

he was right about my OEM back bumper,gona order a freewayslatitude one next week

i like the look of the 90,the 80 series stops me in my tracks-beautiful
the 120 isn't a looker
but driving one is very satisfying for a big truck
especially with the tunit chip

I don't doubt its ability at all TP i'm just the least fashionable person i've ever met so the stuff i thought was cool when i was a kid still appeals to me in a way new stuff doesn't i've been wearing cowboy boots since 1980 something and the mrs reckons they've been in and out of fashion at least 9 times since then :lol:

I guess you bust the rear bumper then ? we love pics

wish i'd had a camera today
tried to pull a small van out of a bog,towrope too short,ended up stuck on the same bog

my mate arrives in his 100yr old UMM with 20 metres of cable
then pulls us both out 'cause he could get traction away from the bog

made the old couple's day
both vehicles getting pulled out by one of the most unreliable vehicles ever made
but it was portuguese...:)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
not one of these was it?

350px-UMM_1_bearbeitet.jpg

What a design blooper, they look like they've been in a crash :lol:

I have always wanted a umm for some reason

another local guy bought one
a local taxi-driver he'd never met pulled up beside him and gave him a business card
then said he was gona need his number...;)

when you're at any local garage there's always UMM's hanging around waiting for something!

I have always wanted a umm for some reason

my good mate and near neighbour has one
soft top,no doors
it's the noisiest,smelliest,draughtiest,slowest,most ucomfortable...

but he loves it to death
he is from Lyon tho'...;)

One of the guys I knew when I worked in Berkshire had a collection of Umm's... strange person...

On the subject of the Winch bumpers, I'd make sure there is a craddle, there has been a case in Aus of a 2nd hand ARB bar deforming when used for a winch recovery, and there was no cradle fitted (when there should have been) Have a look on 4x4earth for the thread if you're interested, it's a nice short one...

Hope that helps a bit.

Back