Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roof rack - opinion?

Looks the same as mine - ask these guys what the postage would be from Switzerland to UK? might be surprised........359€ or 379 £ ?????????? 359€ is about 283 £

hi,

I have that roof rack, bought it years ago, still in good nick and I use it for moving tons of stuff.

it is steel and has a bit of weight, which you will notice when fitted but soon get used to how the car feels with it on.

I like the look of my truck more with this rack on than without.

cheers roy

20130529_192552.jpg

When froggy Steve bought his, I noticed the similarity of the rack with the ARB version (that I have) at almost half the price of the ARB.

I have no complaints with the ARB rack, it's been on the truck for over six years now, and has suffered the slings and arrows of low branches, and heavy loads over that time. It's also steel and despite being a little heavy, it's also very resistant as a consequence.

Fully recommended as endorsed by Steve IMO, and a damn site cheaper than ARB.

That it be :)
it is HEAVY, but with that comes rigidity
20141003_163842.jpg

Yeah, Steve even checked it out by driving the truck on :lol:the roof, just to see if it was rigid :thumbup: and it was....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thats only half of me :) so a real lightweight.........:)

Last edited:
Nope i meant the scaffold tower which all in weighs less than half of the roof rack .

Sorry i spose that is confusing . What i was thinking is the scaffold could easily be chopped and welded to make maybe 3 racks and any one bar of it will easily take far more weight than your ever likely to put on your roof .

Its aluminium for a start so not as easy to get welded. And tubes as big as that look very odd. Bit strange that one shayne i will say. Are your meds strong today?
Stu

:lol: must be the Lemsip :lol: nah when i read the weight of the rack "jesus a scaffold tower must weigh less than that" just popped into my head . The first search result was the link above which offers the tower weighs 28.6kg . I should have just said exactly the same rack made out of aluminium would probably weigh about a quarter as much .

For what usually ends up being a permanent fixture i would def seek out quotes for a custom made rack , might cost a bit more in the short term but 10 stone must hurt mpg .

:lol: must be the Lemsip :lol: nah when i read the weight of the rack "jesus a scaffold tower must weigh less than that" just popped into my head . The first search result was the link above which offers the tower weighs 28.6kg . I should have just said exactly the same rack made out of aluminium would probably weigh about a quarter as much .

For what usually ends up being a permanent fixture i would def seek out quotes for a custom made rack , might cost a bit more in the short term but 10 stone must hurt mpg .

At least I've caught the drift of the post now Shayne, a bit of lateral thinking was missing on my part :lol:

The steel full length racks are heavy, I admit, but they're immensely strong and durable. 50+kg may sound a lot, but on the 80 I can say from experience, it's hardly noticeable, in terms of handling, until it's loaded of course, even then the suspension on the 80 is very.... "accommodating" let's say.

I can walk about on it and there's next to no deflection in any of the components. :icon-biggrin:

I had a patriot rack first which is aluminium and very well made and strong but is so heavy i changed it to a front runner which is just as strong but half the weight i think. It didnt make much difference driving but lifting on and off was a pain. I can do the frontrunner on my own which make life alot easier. i had the bars ontop of the patriot one then took them off to put a roof tent on and it made alot of differance to the fuel consumption. I would never go back to the rails on the side again.
Stu

I had a patriot rack first which is aluminium and very well made and strong but is so heavy i changed it to a front runner which is just as strong but half the weight i think. It didnt make much difference driving but lifting on and off was a pain. I can do the frontrunner on my own which make life alot easier. i had the bars ontop of the patriot one then took them off to put a roof tent on and it made alot of differance to the fuel consumption. I would never go back to the rails on the side again.
Stu

Lifting on and off is a major consideration. In 7 years mine has been off once for the respray, that took a press-ganged posse of 4 and even then it was not so easy! All of us were standing on raised planks of wood each side of the truck, "1, 2, 3 ... lift...." then the shorter guy fell off the plank...:icon-rolleyes:

Back