Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How do you clean your engine compartment???

cmcmill01

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
So went across the Pyrenees in August, some pity dusty roads at some points, not having much time on my hands I haven't got round to clean the engine compartment!!
a55c31fa1c2dbce0fcf2fdc76b950b5e.jpg

d2c63e35e8f9075fd83d4a7f593f0353.jpg

So what is the best way to clean the engine, steam cleaner? If so anybody bought a cheap decent one?
What are the alternatives?
Cheers
Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought one very similar to that, just a bit more expensive and found it next to useless for engine cleaning/degreasing. Makes an excellent job of fabric upholstery cleaning though.

I always clean the engine bay by hand with a trigger spray cleaner and a rag, time consuming though.

I've seen garages simply mask off/waterproof the electrics and anything else where you wouldn't want water ingress and use some spray on degreaser/engine cleaner followed by a high pressure hot jet washer. I guess you stand more chance of getting away with this on older vehicles with less electronics under the bonnet!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ive found WD40 and a brush works very well, just takes some time.

Liberal degreaser and a hot water jet-wash at the local fuel station. But mine's diesel.... :lol:

Liberal degreaser and a hot water jet-wash at the local fuel station. But mine's diesel.... :lol:
X2

Works on petrols as well, as long as it is a LandCruiser. There is nothing there that cannot take a spray of H2O, as long as you don't give the more delicate parts all the power you've got.

TFR mixed with a little petrol (about 1/3rd petrol), is THE best engine bay cleaner ever, leave it for 5 mins & pressure wash off. No issues with using water just avoid the important bits up close with the jetwash

Tfr ?

Edit2:
(Why can I not write TFR with capitals? It keeps changing to lower case)

Edit3:
Now it worked. Whazzup?

Last edited:
I buy brake cleaner in 20l drums. It's magic for cleaning all sorts of things and evaporates quickly leaving almost no residue behind.

I take it to work and leave a crate of lager on the passenger seat and it comes back all clean, the lager goes so wonder if they use that :icon-biggrin:

I will give a second vote for TFR though, great for cleaning up after oil leaks etc. Brake cleaner too, breaks through the grime quite well.

that is clean you should take a look at my Landrover engine bay nearly always cover in mud

will take a pic in the morning and you will see

My just jet wash the engine bay but that y its nice to have a diesel

Use CT Truck wash just put it in a spray bottle and spray it all over leave it for 1/2hr then hose off .

got around to taking a few pic of the landrover engine bay

has been like this for a while now but this is normal for me

will wash it soon
WP_20150207_15_42_29_Pro.jpgWP_20150207_15_42_12_Pro.jpg

Back