Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Scraping noise from wheel

Edward Moyse

Hi all,

I guess I need to take it to a garage, but it's always good to have an idea what it might be before-hand.

My front left wheel is making a scraping noise as I drive along. I've jacked the car up and rotated it, and it seems to be coming from inside (i.e. it's not a stick jammed against the tie rod or something easy like that).

I guess maybe it could be rust on the disc? Worst case, wheel bearings? I could really do without it being expensive, especially at this time of year... :pray:

Cheers!

Ed

Had similar noise come on suddenly last year. Removed wheel to check & it was a piece of gravel caught between disc & dust shield/caliper. Worth popping a wheel to check. Will also allow you to check whether brake pads are down to backing plates giving metal to metal contact with the disc.

Hope this helps

Could be worn pads, where the back-plate of the pad is contacting the disc, or it could be dirt or a stone lodged between pad and disc.

It could be bent disc stone-guard, they're in thinnish steel and could be catching the disc if bent.

Otherwise, it may step into more money/time, a wheel bearing perhaps.

If there's nothing visible I'd go with the above until they're ruled out.

Thanks all.

And in AMAZING news I just had a look at the car club I have access to at work... I just sort of assumed they didn't have much equipment and/or it'd be expensive. In fact it's 50 CHF a year and they have loads of stuff:
http://club-acc.web.cern.ch/club-acc/en/

(hopefully you can see it from outside CERN - there are 5 lifts, wheel balancing machine, OBD etc etc)

Awesome. Will be joining Jan 1st!

Thanks all.

And in AMAZING news I just had a look at the car club I have access to at work... I just sort of assumed they didn't have much equipment and/or it'd be expensive. In fact it's 50 CHF a year and they have loads of stuff:
http://club-acc.web.cern.ch/club-acc/en/

(hopefully you can see it from outside CERN - there are 5 lifts, wheel balancing machine, OBD etc etc)

Awesome. Will be joining Jan 1st!

Blimey, I don't even have access to a car parking space!

Lucky fella!

on ones back in the rain in a car park or driveway is about as good as it gets for many of us!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So, it looks like the brake is jammed on. The pad is touching the disc the whole time. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b228936ed0047eba5b4206e3447e3138.jpg

I guess it's the brake callipers having seized... All other brakes seem fine. I could turn the axle by hand, but could clearly hear the pad scraping. You can see in the picture that the pad is touching. When I brake, the car brakes well and in a straight line. I assume this means that nothing else is wrong.

A couple of reconditioned ones look to be 300 euros:
http://www.euro4x4parts.com/toyota_...2_4_petrol_1985_1996/2_brakes/B/brake_caliper

I'm sure some of you on here would laugh at this price and clean them up yourselves, but a) I've never done this before and b) I'm short on time (as well as money). I've a mechanically minded mate who might help me out... But he's away for the next 5 weeks, and I really don't want to be truckless that long!

Or am I barking up completely the wrong tree?

Thanks again everyone - this is a brilliant forum!

When working properly, the Pads don't retract away from the disc, they stay in place next to the disc. But, the pads shouldn't make a scraping sound when the disc rotates.

If it were mine, I would simply carefully pry the pad away from the disc using a strong screwdriver or a bar levering on the pad backing plate, just to force the caliper piston back into the caliper. This is often enough to free the pistons up to stop the noise.

There's nothing to lose in doing this, if it doesn't cure the problem then the garage is always there for the bigger job of new seals or new calipers.

Very long delay in replying so sorry all! I finally managed to have a look whilst rotating the wheels (and trying the lift at work, which was fun!). I did as Clive suggested (thanks!) and it totally stopped the scraping ... For about 10 mins. Now it's back but I think on the other side (!).

I'll have another play when I get a moment...

2a1ca4885b3a7effee04c91a15413bf0.jpg

It turns out this was caused by a loose wheel bearing, according to the garage. They tightened it and replaced the pads (which had worn through unevenly) and it all seems ok now.

Hi Edward,
Your works automobile club has 'loads of stuff', but what's the use of a particle accelerator when fixing your landcruiser?:wtf:

Back