Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Modifying cooling system to fully pressurised

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
As above, just wondered if anyone has done it and what expansion tank you used? Looking to try and get one fitted in the stock location but without the expense of a custom fabrication.

regards

Dave

I don't have any answers for you Dave, but only one question, why?

Not saying it won't be any better afterwards, but :think:

Despite being one of the best all round vehicles out there Mr T forgot certain important things IMO. For example he did not give us an oil pressure light, a falling gauge because the oil dripping from a bad leak may go unnoticed, an oil light gets your attention, so I fitted an oil light and buzzer.

So if you get a bad water leak the water level falls and you do not know about it until the head is toast, fitting a level sensor in the normal recovery tank will not work as it does not work in real time if there is a bad leak. A fully pressurised header tank responds immediately to a drop in level, many have a sensor already fitted, just need a light and link to the buzzer.

Change the OE rad cap for a 'normal' one, expansion hose to top of header and run a hose from the bottom of the header tank into a T at the lower hose, get a leak and get a light...simples!

Did the same for my Discovery by using a Range Rover tank with sensor, worked a treat, bet you wish you never asked :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

:lol: Not at all, can't fault the logic there Dave!

I've only ever had one problem with the cooling system, the top tank split quite dramatically, I'll never know why, but fitted a new OEM as replacement.

Obviously, with a 50mm split, it dumped all the coolant almost immediately, and the gauge went to red. So, in a cloud of steam, I managed to coast from fuel station to station, refilling every 10km or so. Kept the gauge just the high side of normal, but out of the red.

Since the replacement, it's never missed a beat, but I appreciate that a slow drip leak would probably go unnoticed, until it's too late.

I can't help, but I'm watching this one, Dave. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Sudden top tank failure is not that rare Clive and has been mentioned on other forums, of course when it lets go the steam is a good indicator that it may be worth looking at the dashboard and then under the bonnet. A leak perhaps on a lower hose on the motorway might not be noticed until the engine starts to run rough from overheating and then you look at the dashboard. So as you say the logic is there but was fishing to see if someone had gone this route to save myself some time spending crawling over the wreckers yard to find something that fits with a sensor?

Regards

Dave

If I was that concerned about overheating I think I'd fit an oil temp gauge which would also give an early warning of overheating and would be much easier to fit. Oil is the primary coolant in any engine and the oil temp will rise rapidly if there's a cooling problem especially on the 80 where the oil cooler is 'water cooled'.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If I was that concerned about overheating I think I'd fit an oil temp gauge which would also give an early warning of overheating and would be much easier to fit. Oil is the primary coolant in any engine and the oil temp will rise rapidly if there's a cooling problem especially on the 80 where the oil cooler is 'water cooled'.

That's my point Towpack....it is a gauge that needs to be watched. I bet if I asked how many customers who's cars have overheated if the saw the gauge going up or it was the rough running or steam that came first you know the answer.

The Citroen is very much in use here and the amount of customers who say they saw the big red STOP on the dash pulled over and then found the radiator was low, topped it up and continued has probably resurrected this subject, it has been on my list for years but waaaaay down. I used to be an avid gauge watcher but must say of late it has been more concentrating on the road ahead, of course I do the occasional glance at the dash but you know when the problem occurs you would not notice it until it is too late.

A light and/or buzzer gets immediate attention IMO.

regards

Dave

Dave, I did a bit of research on this a while back when I was planning a big trip. Found this that may be of interest http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/fan-controllers-thermostats/cartek-coolant-level-alarm

Simple and effective solution IMO

Excellent Sir, now that does seem to meet the bill perfectly! It is monitoring the water level as opposed to the temp and does seem to be what I was hoping to achieve, this will save time and appears to be a straightforward fitment.

I am going to replace my hoses this year and just need to check out the bore on the LC top hose.

Thanks for that, funny how you can spend a fair amount on the 'net' and not trip over this.

Thanks again!

regards

Dave

I can recommend demon tweeks. They've been trading since the early 60's

I hear you Frank, I used them years back when I got my first MK1 Cortina 1500GT........yeh...that far back! So they were in demand as was Burton Engineering...remember them?

regards

Dave

the only problem iv had to date with the cooling system was fitting an aftermarket rad.*spits on floor*.

it started leaking after two years, too get my "moneys worth" i put K seal in which stopped the leak, to its credit for a couple of years, but towing a caravan back from cornwall to stoke after about ten miles on the motorway the needle started to rise on even a slight incline. i nursed her the whole way back a needles width under red:shock:.

genuine rad now on and no probs.

the final nail in the coffin for shitty after market parts going on my land cruiser.

I don't remember Burton Engineering. I used a company called Charlie Hacker, Cheltenham and they are still trading as CM Hacker. They had the largest selection of pistons in England in stock. They must have started well before the war. They did my rebores and regrinds, and supplied my pistons, rings and shells.

And what a coincidence. My friend at college, Jim Rogan, had a 1965 GT Cortina and I rebuilt the engine in 1969, rebore, the lot. Really simple job. Don't know the registration but the car came from Bristol.

Burtons were well known at this end of the country, the 'engine guy' was someone IIRC called 'Eddy' what he did not know about 4 cylinder Fords was not worth knowing. We also had 'Durlings' of Plaistow East London another very small engineering shop that turned out beautiful work at a price that was affordable. Gosnays on the Eastern Ave in Essex are probably still there. done some great engineering when I was nailing a BMW 5 speed Getrag on the back of the V12 in my XJC.

Dave signs off humming....'those were the days my friend, we thought they would never end'.........:icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

the final nail in the coffin for shitty after market parts going on my land cruiser.

Mine is an aftermarket rad and to date (4 years) no problems. I have no cooling issues whatsoever but wanted a system of pretty much any loss of coolant. Fitting a pressurised expansion tank was one way but now I have been given the link to the low water sensor I am pretty well sorted.

regards

Dave

Back