Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wanted: 80 series Amazon

GingerMermaid

Planning an expedition but still missing the key component! If anyone knows of a decent manual 80 series Amazon for sale with sub 200k mileage and ideally some kit already fitted, please drop me a line.

All the Amazons were manual as they were only badged as that at the end of production around 1997. But that does limit your search somewhat. I am guessing that in fact you are just after a 1995 to 1997 24 valve UK spec. Are you fixed on any particular spec = GS, GX or VX?

There are some around but getting less all of the time. Keep yoour eye on the ebay addicts section on here because when we see them we generally post them up for everyone. There's usually someone who can advise or even go and look at the vehicle with you if you ask.

Save a search on e-bay and get notifications of vehicles being added every day.

Good luck!

I'd forgotten about those crooks. Still trading I see. Weren't they Oakleigh originally?

Very very tidy examples but £12k? If the red one was about £8k I think I'd be tempted though

I've looked at a couple of LCs at Metro/Oakleigh (they're very close to me too). Nice vehicles, but expensive given the additional work I'd have to do. The silver one may actually be the one I looked at in the summer.

Thanks for the advice re "ebay addicts" - will keep an eye on it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Shayne has just posted a promising looking vehicle. Lot of work done. £10k all in.

Thanks Chris. I've already been in talks with the owner about seeing this one. Am headed there tomorrow. Any advice of things to be wary of / look out for when checking it out?

Err there is a sticky I think. Look at the top of the 80 section posts. We normally keep a list of what to look for. Some things are a deal breaker. Actually there is a thread about that too. Search for deal breaker. Some things you are bound to find and some things are an easy fix. If it looks tired, it probably is. I really wouldn't be fussed about full service history on a car that 20 years old and has like 200k on the clock. Dealers don't service the big stuff like axles unless you take it in and pay to have them done. Oil and filters are important of course, but if it runs well now then that's all that matters.

Thanks Chris. I've already been in talks with the owner about seeing this one. Am headed there tomorrow. Any advice of things to be wary of / look out for when checking it out?
look out for rust. it says its had a new fuel tank, so unless he grounded it and punctured it, you can assume the old one got rusty.

Oh also it has "Has" on the number plate, so its from scotland. and we like salt up here. ;)

I'm a bit lost now as to which one you are going to look at. Just point it out and we'll chip in. Is it the overland prepared (tee hee) one or the blue 'HAS' reg one.

I'm a bit lost now as to which one you are going to look at. Just point it out and we'll chip in. Is it the overland prepared (tee hee) one or the blue 'HAS' reg one.
hi sorry, its the blue "HAS" reg one with the tacho and dent on the rear.

No need to apologise, I know the one you are talking about, I was asking which one Ginger was going to see.

Regarding the blue one, HAS.

I'd try and find out what they did with it commercially - the guys username is SwiftBanana - may be of no significance, but if they are anything to do with water I'd steer clear, reversing in to salt water will eat the chassis, exhaust, fuel tank, rear brakes etc.

Pete

Ahh yes thought so. Well firstly I'd say the ad s full of BS really so I kinda have idea about the owner. I think that there is a good chance that if they came on here there'd be some fairly major arguments! His views about manual over auto for example would cause a punch up. So don't be fooled by stuff that he states as being absolute. General condition of the vehicle does give a good measure of how well it's been looked after but again don't be fooled by stuff that doesn't matter. It may well have had new air fresheners every 6 months and the tyres filled with mountain air but that's all just flummery. He says it's unique, well all 80 are. I two unique ones myself. Ask him what makes it unique and when he says it's the snow edition, let him know that you do know what that is. Clearly then you will be MORE than an expert. Ask him what MPG difference he has seen between 2x4 and 4x4. Has he corrected the castor after the suspension lift?

On balance if it's nice and black underneath due to it being an import, with the fridge and the roof tent it's probably worth the money. It saves a lot of work, trust me. But is it a must buy? No, I'd say not. If it drives well and looks generally good and you like it, then I'd say you will be fine. But what you are really buying is the extras. The truck is worth what? £4k maybe then tyres, suspension, tent, fridge would take you to maybe £9k. But they're just bolt on bits. So don't let him kid you it's worth £30k. It's not. What he doesn't really show is what he's done in side in terms of any kit like inverters and such. Extra power points, storage etc.

Best of luck.

I got the feeling the owner bought it as is , he had to measure the exhaust to tell me the diameter , says erm yeah caster and prop angles look ok he thinks you can buy some sort of offset kit from America . Julian V thought the Snow only came without turbo , I asked for more pics and got none :think: perhaps I should stop mentioning I have a modified cruiser .

All in I decided the only thing I like about the truck is it's not running wheel spacers , the fridge would be nice for the Romania trip but would likely get removed soon after and I would flog the tent asap so for me its a 24 year old truck with a lift and extreme offset (possibly banded) wheels .

It appealed to me as a shortcut to where I would want to be but not at that price

Last edited:
Back