Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The official "I must be losing my ever-loving mind" trek thread.

120mm

Country Flag
germany
So, as I mentioned in my intro thread , I am going to fly from Iowa to Phoenix, where I will pick up the broken down FZJ80 I bought, sight unseen, drive it to San Diego, then back through Dallas and up to Iowa from there.

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...urning-to-the-Land-of-Cruiser-from-Midwest-US

41247873547.388580855.IM1.05.565x421_A.565x318.jpg

The car is currently in the shop, having its transfer case and rear main seal replaced, and hopefully, it holds together for the trip. I'm hoping to blog about my/our trip here:

https://hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com/

A cool thing about this trip? In Phoenix I'm hooking up with a friend I met in Afghanistan, and we are going to use this to reminisce about our time together there, driving around in my Type 76.

I may have something seriously wrong with me, to take a trip like this with a vehicle that I not only am not familiar with, but one which I bought knowing full well it had two serious mechanical issues.

I've already scheduled some off-roading in the Phoenix area, and a big game hunt in Texas, so I'm excited to get everywhere I want to go without a major breakdown.

I leave tomorrow morning and will try to update as I travel.

Last edited:
looking forward to hearing all about your adventures lol, that's what owning a Land Cruiser is all about my friend.
;)

For sure it's a gamble, but what is life if not a gamble?

Good luck and enjoy! :thumbup:

Well, I made it to Phoenix, but the Land Cruiser wasn't ready and the mechanic's shop was closed for the weekend. I still took some pictures and had some minor adventures.

https://hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com/2015/01/18/pleased-to-meetcha-phoenix/

I probably drove past it four times while I was there, yet couldn't really do much about it. Will hopefully meet with mechanic tomorrow and chat.

More pics are on the link above.

10928071_10205051576163534_2055186413_n.jpg

10934672_10205051589683872_283239617_n.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
From the photos, it looks good, clean and "straight".

Almost a shame to consider a re-spray... JMHO :think:

From the photos, it looks good, clean and "straight".

Almost a shame to consider a re-spray... JMHO :think:

I thought of that, until I saw it in person. The Arizona sun, combined with the dings, dents and scratches, especially on the starboard side of the vehicle, really make the finish problematic, even if I wanted to keep it the same. Of course, with Iowa weather being what it is, I will drive it "as is" until we get warm enough days anyway, which is at least 3+ months from now. We'll see if it grows on me and my wife.

So, a serviceable transfer case has arrived at the mechanics, and it "may" be ready to drive tonight. I'm pretty pumped.

You know what sucks? Hanging out, working at the pool/hot tub while waiting for the Land Cruiser you've never driven to be fixed. But there are some consolations.

10881269_10205050341132659_449496199_n.jpg

Somehow, I think I'll live, though....:whistle:

That is a consolation, "...oh God, tell me I don't have to hang out with HER again!" :icon-rolleyes:

Interesting view, bet this thread gets many more followers now :whistle:

Last edited:
Following, following!
drooling-5.gif

I tell you; I believe that Land Cruisers "pull the birds" if you will. Someday I should make a blog entry about that.

I tell you; I believe that Land Cruisers "pull the birds" if you will. Someday I should make a blog entry about that.

Well I guess it will broaden the search engine results, if nothing else :lol:

We all appreciate photos and they should not be limited to trucks and views of bits of engine bay that are hard to tell which way up the photo should be viewed.

Keep 'em commin' Drew, the more the merrier.

Erm, I suppose your wife is familiar with your Land Cruisers "pulling the birds" theory... :pray:

Well I guess it will broaden the search engine results, if nothing else :lol:

We all appreciate photos and they should not be limited to trucks and views of bits of engine bay that are hard to tell which way up the photo should be viewed.

Keep 'em commin' Drew, the more the merrier.

Erm, I suppose your wife is familiar with your Land Cruisers "pulling the birds" theory... :pray:

Lol. Yes, that lovely woman who I truly do not deserve humorously calls them "the harem". I do believe she's met all of them and likes them, though to varying extent.

And seriously. Land Cruisers represent the ability to go out and do; to adventure and to take chances. Young women really like that. As a fan of Dr. Who, I recognize that the relationship between "The Doctor" and his companions is a meme that has grounding in reality.

In return I get to meet some amazing people and to see the world through their eyes. Every one of them is brilliant and deserves to be heard/developed. One jokes about the intellectual (in)ability of beauty pageant entrants for example, but honest to God, I've had several ride in passenger seat who astounded me with their intelligence, courage and commitment.

But anyway, I'm up early this morning, anxious to pick up my "new to me" ride. The mechanic received a transfer case he deemed unacceptable and sent it back; this newest one passed the test and should be done today.

Brains and beauty are not related, there's dumb and intelegent uglies and dumb and intelligent beauties, the latter typifying my missus, I know because she told me!

Great stuff, trusting you'll enjoy it. :icon-biggrin:

Well, I finally got a chance to drive my Land Cruiser. The check engine light came on within 1/4 mile after picking it up, but it's only a dead O2 sensor heater (I had no idea there was such a thing, actually, but I don't care about that right now; will fix it later.) I have nothing but praise for Interstate Auto of Chandler Arizona and their service. They rejected a bad transfer case from the supplier, which made it a day late getting done, but they also worked to knock the price down. I am pleased as punch at that.

I've described my day today on my blog:

https://hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com/2015/01/22/1921/

In summary, we had fun, but found out you just can't drive to Apache Junction hoping to find an off road trail. It takes actually knowing where to get to the starting point, so we plan on going back on Saturday and actually going off roading.

Gratuitous faked off road pics:

10937437_10205079719547101_748774219_n.jpg

10934394_10205079720387122_2024582954_n.jpg

This place is amazing:

10945332_10205079522222168_487858217_n.jpg

Beautiful landscape, only increases my desire to one day travel the lesser travelled parts of the USA.

Beautiful landscape, only increases my desire to one day travel the lesser travelled parts of the USA.

The cool thing about the Apache Junction area is that the town has several places you can apparently rent an off road vehicle to thrash. I imagine it's a "rent plus fix what you've broken" deal and some of the vehicles sitting in their lot look pretty radical. I will try to check that out when I'm there on Saturday, but I plan on maximizing my time on a trail instead.

Lovely , the landscapes not bad either :lol:

Don't I know it. She's a good friend, and one of the most impressive individuals I've met.

Back