Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Taller tyres for an 80 ?

MuckyPup

Ok, sounds easy.
Hmmmmm, it's not.
I'd like some 35's, BUT apart from simex alike copies with fairly extreme tread there are no 10" or even 11" wide 35's

The problem is I'm following discos and 90 ' through welsh ruts and stone and it's ripping the hell out of my sidewalls. I'm already 2" wider than a disco, 12.5 tyres are going to make me close to 4" wider.....

It's only a weekend toy so pattern doesn't matter that much but to be fair the BF AT'S have gone pretty much everywhere this year, even if side slope grip is non - existent and I'd like a bit more tyre height to make up for a bit of my wheelbase. ...

So, what are you currently coveting tyre wise?

I'm on 35's. Size wise it's 315.70.17 BFG AT But you can get the same pretty much by going 315.75.16. There is a range of tyres in that size but not many. Cooper STT is chunky and so are the Mickey Thompson range such as the MTZ or Claw.

On the 80 I sold, I was on 37's. Ha ha , then it was the Landy boys who were in trouble. Before those, I was on 285.75.16 Simex copies with the huge side lugs. They were very good. With yours being a manual and doing a lot of stuff potentially in low range you could consider 37's in something like Fedima. As long as you don't pound it you'd be fine out laning.

Also a good choice is going 33' with the 255.85.16 Narrow is good and the thinner tyre cuts through much better than a fat boy. We know, we've tested them side by side. KM2 BFG would be very good.

Last edited:
I'm on 305/70/16s GG AT2s and for playtime BFG MUDs and they both give 33" (+/-).

Out here I could get them in 305/75/16s and that would up the diameter closer to 35", but not quite, it's 34"+ something.

As Chris said, 315s would get you to 35"

[315] / [75] R [16] = [ (Tire Width x Aspect Ratio x 2) / 2550 + Wheel Diameter ] x [ Tire Width / 25.4 ] - [ Wheel Diameter ] = [35] x [12.4] - [16]

I don't have any experience of other brands.

Not helpful, I suppose... :|

When I first picked up my 80 it was running 305 70 16 Hankook Dynapro MTs with a 2" suspension lift. There was no rub in any lock and plenty of articulation clearance.

After running on a set of 285 70 16 GG AT2s for a few years I have decided that I might just go back to the bigger Hankooks when its time to replace the rubber.

I Run 255/85 r16 and they're ok on most lanes, but sloppy mud they let me down tbh, more an a/t pattern so can forgive them. A mt pattern the same size would fare much better imo. Find the 80 has a tendency to lose traction on wet roundabouts and will easily start to spin tyres with them on too.

Also run a set of 35x12.50 bfg Mts and have never thought I wish I had the 255's on! Copes much better with mud but 2 very different tread patterns.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I run 35x12,5x15 KM2s on 8x15 ET0, and the footprint in width are identical to the stock 275 size made by Nokian.

Back