Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help!! Dash Lights all On ??

t1pper

Country Flag
uk
Hi,
On the way to work today all the dash board warning lights came on, including the hand brake, water in filter sensor, alternator, AT temp and the oil temp, however the engine management light, air bag and door open lights are all off.

All other electrical items are working as the should, recent new batteries middle of last year?

This is my main transport and can't really be without out it anyone have any ideas where to start looking, I am currently stuck??

UPDATE.
Appears it's its not charging no dfference in voltage at batteries between engine running and engine off (12.3v), would this put all the warning lights on as discribed?
Main fuses look ok.

On the 80 its usually the alternator, so guessing the same on the 100

Dash lights coming on is often caused by an Alternator problem, though it can be a bad earth connection somewhere.

I would check the plug at the back of the Alternator and the engine to chassis earthing strap before rushing off to a motor Factors.

I'm afraid its probably the Alternator though :icon-rolleyes:. What sort of mileage has it done ??

Bob.

Hi,

It has done 160,000 miles, I will check the wiring once I get under the car.

Is it known that the an alternator failure will put on a range of warning lights as mine is, or just the charging light.

On the 80 all sorts of lights come on when the alternator fails as in broken in itself OR more likely a poor connection on the rear alternator plug. I would remove this plug, clean and oil it, replug it and try again. I had this on my 80 and it was a dirty plug as described.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nearly 100% sure its a cooked alternator, I removed the rear cover to see lots of burnt connections.

I now have to find a replacement, lots to choose from prices range from £50 s/hand to over £750 and every where in between.

Any recomendations?

I would avoid second hand (though Karl Webster at 'LandcruiserParts.co.uk' may have something trustworthy).

I haven't looked at mine, but its probably a Nippon-Denso which should be available from a good Motor Factors rather than going to Toyota with their eye-watering mark-up.

For something as vital as an alternator I would always go for new.

Bob.

Last edited:
For something as vital as an alternator I would always go for new.

Bob.

I went for a Toyota/Denso exchange unit from my local Toyota dealer, a reasonable £197+vat off the shelf with a 2 year warranty

I fitted it today and everything works as it should, however it was not the easiest job I have done, I even had to drain the water system and remove the bottom hose to get enough room to extract the alternator.

From start to finish took around 3 ish hours and was a proper struggle!

I went for a Toyota/Denso exchange unit from my local Toyota dealer, a reasonable £197+vat off the shelf with a 2 year warranty. I fitted it today and everything works as it should.

Excellent - a good result :thumbup: .

Bob.

That would have been another £300 labour at Toyota then !! Glad you sorted it.

Had this happen to my 2002 gxl 100 series.
bust out the contact cleaner I followed the harness back from alternator break it at the clips and give it a good clean in some spots you need an arm like a brown snake to get at them but it worked for me.
good luck
ikemci

..., however it was not the easiest job I have done, I even had to drain the water system and remove the bottom hose to get enough room to extract the alternator.
From start to finish took around 3 ish hours and was a proper struggle!
Next time: The faster way is to remove the two intercooler "wind pipes", then unbolt the A/C compressor and swing it out of the way (it has flexible hoses). Then it's plain and easy to access the altenator.

Back