Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

solid axles and 3 lockers

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
so is the 80 the only jeep with soild axles and 3 oem lockers?

is more articulation the only benefit of solid front axles?

cheers

G wagon has the same configuration.
solid axle More articulation and a stronger set up from the factory less bushes also.

Last edited:
Solid axles are just that, solid

Articulation isn't really a benefit, simplicity and durability of a large cast section is the benefit. Independant suspension introduces more moving and articulating parts, hence more joints and fragility. It does also make for a more comfortable ride however.

A horse drawn hay cart has solid axles! The only technological differences in suspension terms between a hay cart from 1895 and an 80 series from 1995 is the introduction of coil springs over leaf springs and some stabilising (those cross ways parts with the rubber bushes in them). Stabilising is more to do with travelling at speed so isn't really applicable to hay carts :lol:

He actually said jeep. Not Jeep.

Runs and hides .....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just Enough Essential Parts INDEED! I'm nearest ship me the grenade Iceman! :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

No but i have a friend that has just got one to play in. They are very heavy slow and no articulation.
Had a 404 mog though. Was great.

No but i have a friend that has just got one to play in. They are very heavy slow and no articulation.
Had a 404 mog though. Was great.

in your first post ^^ did i read it right that the Gwagon has more articulation than the 80?

Sorry tools i have chaged the post as i didnt write it correctly.

Independent has less traction as the front wheel often lifts off the ground when cross axeled or in deep ruts. A 'live' front axle does'nt handle just as well on the road as movement on one corner invariable has an effect on the other corner but will find more traction off-road. When lifting an independent sus truck, the articulation is also connected to the camber controlled by the wishbones and the wheels tend to lie in or out unless you add some serious mods. The shougun was nice with its torsion bars up front so a lift was free combined with a cheap set of used Patrol springs thrown in the back.

DId I read somewhere that G wagon lockers are mechanically operated?

Early G's were cable lockers or so the one is i have looked at but i think the later ones are electric.

Independent has less traction as the front wheel often lifts off the ground when cross axeled or in deep ruts. A 'live' front axle does'nt handle just as well on the road as movement on one corner invariable has an effect on the other corner but will find more traction off-road. When lifting an independent sus truck, the articulation is also connected to the camber controlled by the wishbones and the wheels tend to lie in or out unless you add some serious mods. The shougun was nice with its torsion bars up front so a lift was free combined with a cheap set of used Patrol springs thrown in the back.

DId I read somewhere that G wagon lockers are mechanically operated?

IFS (and IRS) has the added problem that a lift narrows the track, and exerts extra stress on the CV joints as the angles change; my 4Runner is slightly lifted, so the driveshafts are still fairly neutral, however, if I put a bit more on it then the angles become steeper and the track narrows.

130 series 4Runners and Surfs can also get cheap lifts; stock 80 series rear springs (that haven't sagged) give about 2-3" lift on the back.

I know where your at with this TP because I have the same dilemma , I have absolutely no doubts about the LC80's offroad superiority but for me that's both a positive and a negative . To explain I was going around the forest at Lincomb banging and crashing slipping and sliding avoiding this route because I have a better chance of completing that route and surprising myself because there's no way I just got up there :shock: .

At the same time Chris was in the same area in his massive 80 (37 or 38 inch tyres I think it had on it ?) and he was on all the tracks I had to avoid , the way it just rolled over any and all obstacles was truly something to behold :icon-cool: he could have had a mug of tea in his hand while doing it !

While looking at replacing my truck I've played that memory like a video over and over again in my head trying to decide where I would rather have been be it up there flying or down here struggling .

Bet you can't guess which I feel is more fun :icon-wink:

Back