Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyotas Own Oil 5W 30, Should I move Away to Something Different??

t1pper

Country Flag
uk
I have bumped this from the oils section as I did not get any response, I appreciate any thoughts as it really is oil change time!!

I have ran all winter on Toyota's own brand 5W30 semi synth as recommend/supplied by my local Toyota dealer.

My LC 100 diesel with 160K has not used any in the last 6000 miles still on max on the dipstick, no top ups.

However I noticed some slight oily residue in the turbo inter-cooler pipe the other day obviously its not much as I have not had to top up in 6K.

The under bonnet sticker says 10w 30 IIRC, is running on the thinner 5W 30 as recommended by my local Toyota dealer still OK?

It states that it is fuel efficient oil on the can!

Or should I now go for something a bit thicker for summer such as a 10W 40 considering the mileage and slight turbo oiling?

Personally, I would go for the 10w30 for an engine with 160K miles. It produces marginally more drag but these are slow running lumps and under load at sub-2000 rpm the shells must get a hammering.

I would give them regular oil changes as well. Mine has only done about 2,500 miles since the last oil change but that has mostly been with a 2.5 ton horse trailer on the back. I haven't had to top the oil up but its getting a bit black now so I'll change it soon.

Mine has done 125K miles.

Bob.

I always use 15/40 mineral oil and change it at max 3000 miles this removes a lot of dirt from the engine my oil is just loosing it's clean oil look at 2500 miles. i work on trucks every day, the oil in the turbo pipes comes from the engine breather mostly. i do not use synth oil in older engines, but this is only my preference.

Thanks for the replies, I have decided to get some 10W 40 semi synth with a new filter direct from Toyota.

After talking to the parts department at my local dealer either 5W30 or 10W40 is suitable, better to get it changed than spend forever worring about what to use!

What is the correct interval for an oil change, I always work on 6K miles, the oil is black by then but not looking too bad, should I reduce this??

What is the correct interval for an oil change, I always work on 6K miles

10K Kilometres / 6K miles is right (or 6-monthly according to the Max Ellery manual - that's for Australia, where its hot and dusty, though :icon-biggrin:).

I reduce the interval as the mileage increases. We had a Ford Focus TDDi with 180K miles on it, I used to change that at 3,000 mile intervals as the oil was as black as your hat by then.

Bob.

I would be sticking to the 10w 40 Oil. I use the 5w 30 toyota semi syn oil in my 200 gxl and yep it is quite common to see the slight oily residue in the intercooler.
And alot of chaps have oil catch cans fitted to the the 200 twin turbo motor and part of it would be to do with the light weight oil used.

Bob I don't know what the temps get down to in Scotland but there should be a guide in the owners manual about correct oil for temp ranges for the motor.:think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
10w is supposed to be ok down to -18deg C and 5w down to -30 according to the Owner's manual. I've known it get down to around -20 in some of the sheltered Glens but very rarely. -10 is not uncommon though.

Back