Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CD DAB radio

kingtom

Country Flag
uk
Want to upgrade the radio in the 80 series to a DAB one. Though the Toyota one seems double the size than a replacement unit. Has anyone else fitted one? Also what do I need apart from the DAB radio itself? Ive read I need another arial though I was hoping to hide this in the dash.
Tom

Original unit is likely double DIN, your replacement sounds like single DIN so you can fill the gap with a storage pocket.

You'll need a DAB aerial, but fitting it inside the dash will kill any reception you hope to have. The glass film ones are fairly unobtrusive, or if you want to go the whole hog and don't mind a hole you could fit a proper DAB/FM antenna on the roof.

Ok perfect ill look into getting one of them though tempted to have a go at making a housing to mount dab radio and cb radio on top of each other

20130831_204130.jpg

That's the double din dab i have fitted in the 80, fitted using the standard brackets from the original stereo. Just bought an adapter cable and plugged straight in. Aerial sticks to the windscreen and signal is as good as the factory dab in my beemer.

Thats how I did mine too Gary, with the factory brackets. Wanted a screen for rear camera (that I never fitted lol).
Congrats btw

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Finally got around to installing

Attachments

• DSCN1139.JPG
    DSCN1139.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 335
  • DSCN1140.JPG
    DSCN1140.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 340
Does anyone know the max screen size that'll fit in the 80's double DIN slot? The Pioneer stuff I want is 7" on the diagonal which I think may be too big. There's also a 6.1" unit I may have to go for but I really want the 7" unit because it does so much more ;)

Not a 100% on this but I have a 7" screen pioneer in my BMW no buttons round the sides just touch screen and a 6.1" screen pioneer in the 80, has buttons and nobs round the side. The actual units are the same size. Hope that makes sense, the hole they fit in is the same.

An yes perfect thanks. They are both 'buttonless' units so hopefully the 7" unit will work. I'll shop around a bit then :)

just got my truck back so here's a couple of piccys
IMG_4559.JPG
IMG_4563.JPG

That looks really good, I like how the actual face is slightly smaller than the body of the unit, so much so that it may be able to fit the 100 dash without trimming

100 dash will take a double DIN direct, with no fascia required as it's a semi-recessed fit.

Back