Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How to check auto box oil level?

farmerboy

Country Flag
uk
Hi all, I have just pulled the dipstick on my LC120 2003 auto and it registers just on the "HOT" mark but the engine is cold - ie first thing in the morning. Should I run the engine / select "drive" or do something else to get the correct reading? Or is it overfilled?

Thanks in advance.

Hi buddy,you need to go through from park to L a few times and I've heard it's better when warm or just when you get back from going out in it.
hope this helps.

Yes do it whilst hot and put your foot on the brake with the engine running and go through all the drive options leaving it in D, 3, 2, 1 etc for a few seconds, then check the level. Unlike engine oil which all needs to be pooled in the sump, the ATF level needs to be checked with the hydraulic system and pipes all filled up with just the reserve fluid in the sump pan

Cheers guys that all makes sense. Much appreciated.

Just on another point - I thought the drivers door window actuator switches were faulty but simply cycling each individual window from its own switch cured the problem. I think the battery may have been flat / removed in the past and the system "forgot" what to do! Weird.....

Just to make it clear, as I couldn't se it specifically mentioned:
Check level with the engine running, and box i Park/Neutral.

Just to make it clear, as I couldn't se it specifically mentioned:
Check level with the engine running, and box i Park/Neutral.
thats right buddy in park is best

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi, I have a 2006 pardo 5 speed auto and can't find a gearbox dip-stick, should it be obvious?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Merv for bringing this thread to the fore. I've been thinking the level was high and I had an auto box problem with the radiator leaking water into the ATF. I'll now dip it properly and see. [emoji6]

Sorry, as mines an 80 I cannot help with your question. [emoji20]

Back