Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80-Series overland build - "BLACK ONE"

gytman

Country Flag
lithuania
80-Series overland build - "BLACK TOYota"

Hi,
I am starting a new thread. I bought 1992 Land Cruiser 80 last September.
This is how it looked yesterday, but hopefully, it will look better soon :auto-swerve:

X9JYPu7.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice and "high" and I like the anti-glare glass :lol:

Shock absorbers and springs were replaced by previous owner. I just replaced all the bushes and installed a new swivel housing & wheel bearing seal kit. Also power steering column was rebuild, because it was leaking.

mCNt9br.jpg
FOG9zZu.jpg
WXmcXLu.jpg
usgDfrN.jpg
2BNogym.jpg
dnVEWnp.jpg

Attachments

• mCNt9brs.jpg
    mCNt9brs.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 536
  • FOG9zZus.jpg
    FOG9zZus.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 555
  • WXmcXLus.jpg
    WXmcXLus.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 537
  • usgDfrNs.jpg
    usgDfrNs.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 546
  • 2BNogyms.jpg
    2BNogyms.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 532
  • dnVEWnps.jpg
    dnVEWnps.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:
Also power steering column was rebuild, because it was leaking.

I've had all the seals in my steering box replaced twice in 9 years of ownership. Once soon after buying it and again last year.

It wasn't so expensive, but the seals seem prone to failure, I've probably got some grooving on the shafts, but at 8 year intervals, it's probably cheaper to re-seal it than to buy new shafts :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've had all the seals in my steering box replaced twice in 9 years of ownership. Once soon after buying it and again last year.

It wasn't so expensive, but the seals seem prone to failure, I've probably got some grooving on the shafts, but at 8 year intervals, it's probably cheaper to re-seal it than to buy new shafts :lol:

The seals tend to dry out and go hard over time which causes leaks. You can buy a special additive that you add to the oil which is meant to revitalise the seals. I've also read a few times that a cap full of brake fluid does the same job. :icon-ugeek:

The seals tend to dry out and go hard over time which causes leaks. You can buy a special additive that you add to the oil which is meant to revitalise the seals. I've also read a few times that a cap full of brake fluid does the same job. :icon-ugeek:

Yes Ben, but I think the brake fluid trick's a bit of a sh!t or bust move, maybe to get you home.

The brake fluid chemically attacks the rubber making it swell and temporarily tightens the seal. But after, it falls apart and you left back at square 1, but worse.

Maybe the additive works in a different way, I've not seen it.

I'm lucky that the seals are not too expensive and labour is relatively cheap here, so a strip-down and rebuild with new seals every 8 years is pretty good value for money!

Was it a total stripdown to metal and weld or just a respray?

Yes Ben, but I think the brake fluid trick's a bit of a sh!t or bust move, maybe to get you home.

The brake fluid chemically attacks the rubber making it swell and temporarily tightens the seal. But after, it falls apart and you left back at square 1, but worse.

Maybe the additive works in a different way, I've not seen it.

I'm lucky that the seals are not too expensive and labour is relatively cheap here, so a strip-down and rebuild with new seals every 8 years is pretty good value for money!

From experience I'd have to disagree with you there Clive. The minute anything starts leaking from the power steering its the first thing I do. Have done it several times and has never failed or caused any problems.

Was it a total stripdown to metal and weld or just a respray?
Lycky for my, there was almost no rust on the body, so cleaned only those small spots with rust (around windshield, rear arches). There was no need to weld anything :whistle:

From experience I'd have to disagree with you there Clive. The minute anything starts leaking from the power steering its the first thing I do. Have done it several times and has never failed or caused any problems.

That's interesting yogi, experience is what it's all about.

So after a leak starting and adding brake fluid, the problem went away long-term?

The first time mine started leaking, it must have been something catastrophic, because it was coming out faster than I could refill it (almost) but the second time it was a gradual process. I saw posts on MUD about the brake fluid trick and TBH my comment above was almost a copy/paste of a comment there.

They were recommending against it for fear of doing damage to the seals in the pump, and I was too afraid to take the chance.

Just goes to show not to believe everything you see on forums :lol:

Apologies to Ben if I got it wrong :doh:

No worries Clive, I've never tried it myself but have read about it a few times. :icon-biggrin:

You can have your thread back now gytman, looking forward to seeing what you do with your 80. :thumbup:

Nice. :icon-biggrin:

What paint is it?

It looks textured! :think:

Back