Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series - Overland Build Iceman's

iceman

Country Flag
south_africa
So gents this thread is long overdue, I bought my cruiser a 91 HDJ81 import last year to take to Morrocco. But in reality the Morocco trip/s are really just a shakedown for a trip back to SA likely Cape Town.

2014-12-13 13.21.05.jpg

I started with refurbing my rims and purchased Lazz's BW drawers

IMG_1913.jpg
2014-09-11 18.51.50.jpg
2014-09-11 18.50.57.jpg

Next was some mechanical work the BEB's were replaced and so was the waterpump the cambelt and a new tensioner. A ATF filter and oil change for the auto box together with a ATF cooler taken from a later model cruiser. These bits were all OEM parts, it had to be.

The A/C system was the next and got a new filter and the complessor was refurbed. All new o'rings for all the joints. Next was the tinting of all the windows.

With limited time as the Morocco trip was approaching two new batteries were added (G& & G8 Varta's), new terminals and a refurbed alternator. Also a brand new 12v starter was installed together with a split-charge system.

2014-11-27 22.28.59.jpg

Next was a full service which included some replacement suspension parts which added greatly to the flexibility, feel and handling of the truck.

Next was a full S/S replacement exhaust sysem from Longlife and a few small bits like a replacement steering wheel and seatbelts. The load protector was installed next and just in the nick of time as we had to ship out to Morocco.

Last edited:
Excellent iceman, lovely looking truck and you started right with the BEBs!

Enjoy Morocco!

Nice looking truck! So have you been to Morocco and come back, or going soon?!

Also, did you do all the work yourself, or find someone local?

Hmm, now where have I seen those drawers before ......

Did you put in New OEMe seatbelts? Mine are a bit tired and I've been toying at replacing with new - about £70 each from Simon for the front ones ...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No Gary just second hand, but would consider new on my other machine. Who is Simon, I'm still a newbie:think:

Ah ok - Simon Holton is our 'tame' Toyota OEM supplier who really looks after us. If you look in the 'supplier' section you'll find his details. Tell him you're a member here until he knows your name :)

Fairly sure we keep their profits going ;)

Ice,

There's been lots of discussion on here about the quality of the HDK parts from Milners.

If you're going to do this job, fit OEM boet!.

Yes I intent to, but Milner are suggesting a 94 part is an upgrade on the 92 part then I will order the 94 model OEM part - but first I need to know it fits

Yes you can fit the longer CVs along with the longer drive flange, no problem. You can tap the ABS ring off if it comes with those on should you wish.

I've just collected my spare wheel catch which I've had powder coated.

20150320_131607.jpg
20150320_131639.jpg
This is what is looked like (sorry about the quality of the pic)
2014-12-29 17.21.31.jpg
It had some clear resin washers as its a paint on paint fix, so I'm considering replacing with small pieces of leather.

20150321_151849.jpg
20150321_151943.jpg
My CVs and drive flanges have arrived finally, brought in by a friend from SA. I picked up the original bolts cones and washers too.

So my front axle refurb is well underway with the full (Roughtrax) swivel and bearing kit and new (Milner) front calipers and (Roughtrax) pads and rotors. Just need to add the front wheel bearings, which I had already.
20150321_152114.jpg
I'm also going to fit some rubber new door seals, which came with the cruiser.
20150321_152046.jpg
The window rubbers will be next on my shopping list, as the windows are dragging a bit.

Looks like your truck is coming along nicely.

I will soon be doing the flange and C/V conversion on my 1992 80, it too currently has the narrow flanges.

I originally got the Milners kit but after a lot of thought I got hold of genuine C/V's from Amayama.

I thought about ordering from them, but my truck is blocking up somebodies driveway so speed was of the essence.

Back