Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Has anyone got access to a broken collie ? i need some wiring .

Shayne

Guru
I want to move the MAP sensor from the throttle body to the intercooler and i would be far more comfortable doing it using the intended wires cut from from an unused loom .

Maybe i'm just being over cautious but while reading about resistance and gain and whatnot i've developed an awful premonition that messed up sensor readings will cause havoc .

Where's it located Shayne? Never knew they had a MAP sensor, Manifold pressure sensor right?

Same thing Beau manifold absolute pressure sensor if you like lol to me its just a plastic thing with evil jap wizardry inside , either way as i understand it after a bit of google research that the ecu takes its readings from there and adjusts fuelling to match . I hope by moving the sensor to the intercooler it will sort of turn things up a notch because ive neer been happy the mix is right . Its ok and the truck runs well but when i get up to speed i can almost feel shes running lean and i think its because the location of the sensor at present allows air to warm slightly again before the readings are taken .

What do you think worth a shot or not ?
i will pop a pic up tomorrow as i have to take one if im to have any hope at all of getting the right bit from a breaker on eBay

Last edited:
Is this any good buddy on eBay 111285481527

Cheers Shaun there's a few on there i will get it no doubt i was just hoping to avoid having to explain i just want the plug with 12 inches of wire still attached , i'm sure it will baffle breakers why i want to buy a bit of rubbish :?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Shayne. I think you will find that is your turbo boost sensor behind the power steering reservoir. I broke the intake pipe of off mine and have used the one from my inter cooler which is still sat in the shed. This also got blocked with crud from the manifold and I lost power due to no readings to the ECU. The other thing you might want to try is the sensor in the long plastic inlet pipe is the air temp sensor and should be connected to the connector at the back of the inter cooler behind your blue pipe(the grey socket). I would think there would be a few degrees temperature difference in the intercooler and this connected up might help with mixture settings at higher revs and cooling air flow when running

Thanks Steve i'm just searching the web and have found the same thing pictured under whatever name the poster prefers . I was never really fussed about moving it because i don't see why or how the pressure anywhere in a sealed system can differ so maybe i just need a new filter on it ? :think: i should be looking more at the air temp sensor shouldn't i because the cooler will definitely make a difference in that .

Does it matter what wire i use to extend sensors ? i've searched halfrauds and my local motor parts store and the closest resembling wire i can find is speaker wire which makes me dubious

To move the air temp wiring should just be a case of carefully cutting the outer sleeving and unpicking the loom and re running the wires back to the sensor in the intercooler. If I remember the loom comes past the intercooler sensor to get to the front of the engine. You shouldn't even need to cut any wiring at all. Once you have sorted out the wiring you should be able to get the loom re wrapped with loom tape to protect it again. The plug is the same on both sensors but before you cut or disturb anything you could take the sensor out of the intercooler and try it . It has a screw fitting into the inter cooler body.

PS Also check the vacuum hoses on the boost sensor. Mine looked good but had split just in front of the plastic connectors. That boost sensor can be cleaned out with brake or carb cleaner and then blown out gently with compressed air.

Last edited:
Cool i did look for it once and couldn't find a matching connection anywhere but i didn't know where to look . I wouldn't trust either sensor that came on the cooler i was just going to swap it with the one on my truck , might be an idea to replace them with new while i'm at it i suppose i guess they won't be cheap from mr T

You will be able to use the turbo sensor from your truck but the air sensor is different as it has a screw fitting to seal the intercooler being pressurised. The sensor in the black tube is in a partial vacuum as the air is drawn across it. Leave that one in place to seal the tube. You can test the sensor with a multimeter but I wouldn't know what reading you should be getting. Always try asking if anyone would know elsewhere on the forum. The sensor pick up on the inlet manifold would also be an easy place to connect your boost gauge too while you are setting up . Then you just plug it off when your done. Or use the one on the intercooler instead and leave the other one where it is.

Great so i'm not even looking for a matching plug then for the air temp . I hate car electrics if i'm not sure which wire is which in the house i just touch one ouch is live and oh is neutral :lol:

Last edited:
Well I tried to fit the intercooler sensor into the black plug on the intake pipe and it doesn't fit.:icon-cry::thumbdown: Will have to come up with another way to connect it up.

We need a Prado 90 temp sensor which shouldn't be hard to find but getting a matching plug might prove more difficult . How do you mean "doesn't fit" ? won't reach or doesn't match ?

Last edited:
Doesn't match. The socket on the sensor is too big for the plug to go over it. The pins inside the sensors are the same though. Will have a look at it properly in the daylight and let you know

mine look identical :think: did you use a Prado cooler or one of the newer d4d ones ?

Finally got around to shifting the pressure sensor and a short test drive makes me think it may have smoothed things out a bit but maybe its wishful thinking , can't do much of a test at 5pm so i will wait for Helen's unbiased report when she steals my truck to go to work this evening .

See what you mean about the temp sensor the socket is much deeper . The socket is marked on the brass nut with - in no particular order - 89424 , 60010 , 11R , 22 , and a sort of ND mark if you remove the gap making it all one symbol so i will see what i can find on the web .

Hi . Sorry been working away for the last few days. Shame that plug doesn't fit. I am thinking of adapting the sensor connections with crimped push on terminals with short wires and then sealing them with araldite or something similar. Then down to my local Maplins for a suitable connector to join onto the existing loom. Might have a look at that site in your link to see if they have the socket to go with the plug you found.

Back