Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electrical issues

BLEWSEAL

Country Flag
united_states
So my vents just stopped working. They were working fine then started to intermittently go on and off and now my entire vent control panel stopped. My windows also work intermittently. The windows work and then stop. If you wait for a couple minutes they will roll up a little bit at a time. I've checked wires, switches and fuses, no problems found. I checked the fuse box to the left under the steering wheel. And also pulled apart my main power switch for the windows control. Any ideas where to look? Or know of a thread that will help me out? Thanks

Have a look at the fusible links on the (UK) drivers side battery + terminal, they are starting to get old now and have started to throw up a number of faults.

regards

Dave

I had the vent fan and climate control stop working. Couldn't find anything and just put a switch in from a known + in the fuse box to the fan (unplugged it first) to get me out of trouble which worked. Then noticed the climate control had come back to life after a few weeks running. Plugged the fan back in and it's been fine for the last two years. Could your windows be sticking on the rubbers?

So the fuses by the battery don't really control anything inside the interior. I found some relays down by the brake pedal. Not really sure what they are. So did you just splice into the wires right by the climate control buttons from positive? I have noticed that the top row and bottom row of buttons work. But not the middle, that could be the problem. And as far as the windows go, if there is only just the one fuse, it could be the switch panel on the door. Are the windows known for getting bound up on the rubber lining?

My temporary fix was from a contact in the fuse panel, think I might have pulled the diff lock fuse and used the contact for that at the time through an inline fuse. I think I used a crimped male blade terminal to push in where the fuse blade goes to pick up the +. Ran that to the fan area and picked up a local earth from a bolt. Didn't touch the wiring behind the climate control unit.

I think there is a thread on here about taking it apart and cleaning it up making it work.

Yes window rubbers are a known issue. They go hard and you need to pull the glass up to give them a helping hand otherwise they judder to a halt especially when cold. There's all sorts of things you can try to make them work better, just get new rubbers from Amayama at £30 ish each plus delivery and import duty and VAT if you need to pay it. Again there is a thread somewhere on here I believe. Around £80 to £100 each from Toyota and the difference they make is night and day. This assumes that your windows are actually trying to go up and not suffering from other problems.

Here's some photos of my temporary fix. There are proper items to do this such as this on eBay http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321676837082

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425578347.527954.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425578368.138241.jpg
Not sure if I've connected it to the correct side of the fuse as my truck is laid up at the moment but you get the idea.

The fan end has a tail with a plug on it, just follow the wiring down in the footwell.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425578467.838925.jpg
The two black wires are my temporary ones, fitted with one bare and one insulated 1/4" blade connectors (fast ons) and will just pick up the fan terminals inside the plug. I fitted a simple switch in the + line from the fuse box.

Just remember to refit the diff lock fuse when you need it or use one of the piggy back fuse links as above. I didn't and only found out when practicing a ditch crossing. I must emphasise this was a temporary fix until I got everything working again just to get me out of the poo and get the truck usable again.

You mentioned relays in the footwell, there is a thread on here about one of those relays controlling the power to the windows. You can remove it and link the right pair of terminals to make the windows run with the ignition off. Might be worth a search for that and check the relay if you're not getting anything at all on any of your windows. Could be a loose relay or bad connection, though I am not aware of this being a known problem (correct me if I'm wrong here guys).

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the help and the post. I just found my vent problem, it is the control box under the driver right foot has a loose connection. I found that in another thread. As far as the windows go like i said, it seems that they work and then stop working. When they are down, it will take a couple minutes then they will roll up a little bit then i have to wait a couple more minutes and do try again. Then sometimes they go up, just slowly.

Any chance of a link to that info on the loose connection in the control box Blew?

When your windows stall, try pulling them up to assist. If they go up with this gentle persuasion, then it is likely your rubbers. I think there is a cut out in them that stops them sitting there stalled which could be why you have to wait a minute or three before trying again. Try the pull up as soon as they stall and see what happens. If it stays put then it is likely not being powered and it's something electrical, but if you assist before they cut out and they carry on to the top, then chances are it's the rubbers.

Thanks for the help and the post. I just found my vent problem, it is the control box under the driver right foot has a loose connection. I found that in another thread. As far as the windows go like i said, it seems that they work and then stop working. When they are down, it will take a couple minutes then they will roll up a little bit then i have to wait a couple more minutes and do try again. Then sometimes they go up, just slowly.

Down in that general area there's a control box/fusebox that controls the windows with relays and fuses etc. There are mods you can do to make the windows permanently live and useable without the ign on and also to make the driver's window 'one touch' closeable. Look for a loose connection in there. Might be worth a shot.

Down in that general area there's a control box/fusebox that controls the windows with relays and fuses etc. There are mods you can do to make the windows permanently live and useable without the ign on and also to make the driver's window 'one touch' closeable. Look for a loose connection in there. Might be worth a shot.
Yeah i just found this mod in another forum, i should try to mess with the relay down by the left foot by the brake pedal behind the plastic. I don't think its the rubbers because helping the window doesn't make it go up. So ill check the fuse, Thanks for all the help people.

Back