Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Big Green: 80 Series overland build - or is it more of a kitting out?

GingerMermaid

So I've gone and done it, I've purchased my first land cruiser! A milestone if ever there was one! Now comes the fun bit: kitting her out for the cross African and Indian adventure I've been talking about for the past however many years and which I'm hoping to head off on in the next couple of months all going well.

I know how you all like a few details so here you go: It's a dark green Toyota Landcruiser 80 series GS manual model (UK) 1995 that's already been kitted out with a TDS 9500 winch with synthetic rope plus 40ft extension, Snorkel, Alisport intercooler, OME suspension, centre, front and rear difflock (all operational), BFG all terrains on alloys, BFG mud terrains on steels (currently not fitted), CB radio and front spots. (photos to follow)

Having gone through my wish list of kit (and oh boy could that list go on and on) I'm starting off by focusing on the essentials to get her on the road in decent shape and then am going to build up from there. Open to any ideas, suggestions and kitting out warnings. In the meantime, work commences today on the basics :)

Well done. Fantastic news.

I can't tell you what to put in there but I would say get the vehicle 100% sound on its wheels as it stands. Don't be tempted to start fitting bits before you have done all of that. Give it a decent trial. Plan the build and spend some time working out how it's all going to work. On my first one I sort of jumped in and had to keep coming back to redo stuff. This time, I decided what I was going to have, where I'd put it, how I'd power it etc and the order in which I'd put stuff in. It's been a much better build this time. Cabling especially. Wire the vehicle as one rather then constantly going back to put more wires in. Decide how you want to use the vehicle. Have a good look at Olazz's build. He's spent more time in his than his house and has learned what works and what doesn't. But in truth some of this depends on your skills and your budget.

It sounds like you pretty much have this in hand. Before you buy any big ticket items ask about. Chances are we've had one. But more importantly get some pictures up or we'll throw you off the forum. :lol:

Good news GM !

Yep, no photos, it never happened :lol:

Enjoy drawing up the wish list. :thumbup:

As promised: Big Green minus her spots and before any of the work commences...

80 series.jpeg

Spent today with her up on jack stands whilst we checked over the breaks, barings, axles and I discovered just how heavy each of those tyres actually is!

Nice looking car! Where abouts in London are you based? If NW, might be local(ish) to me!

Well done GM looks a great machine (plus an intercooler) you can't go wrong. Keep the pictures coming.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's OK Clive, mock all you like, you will be noticing it before too long. :icon-twisted:

No fear Chas, I'm already there on most things! Not mocking at all, but just trying to encourage your appreciation for what you can do, and less about the things that are getting more difficult in your "maturity" :lol:

I'm terrible with back-ache, lack of physical strength, stamina ..... oh my goodness the list is endless :doh:

So it's been a month and I haven't made much progress on the new girl unfortunately. Gave a her a full check over with the help of the lovely Martin at Overland Cruisers, who've come up with a substantial list of remedial work required before I hit the road. Now I'm waiting for some space in the workshop before I crack on with getting her ready to go...

IMG_0807.JPGIMG_0817.jpg

:thumbup: Good stuff, you seem to be doing more than I can manage. I rely in Julian and Martin for all my work, I know then it will be done correctly.

Good to see you getting on with it GM, is there so much to do?

If you need advice on any of the jobs, you know where to come :lol:

Slightly more remedial work than I'd hoped, but a lot less than it could have been... In addition to some general maintenance, tidying up, disk and all over fluid replacement, it looks like the near side front axle needs rebuilding, the rear exhaust mount needs replacing, there are some rust spots that need repairing, Julian wants to replace the clutch and of course the suspension springs need to be upgraded... Am heading up tomorrow to get stuck into it.

Need to work out what from the desired works list to cut back on and/or get in SA in order to stay within budget... Doing any of the below is likely to push me over; the whole lot is blowing the budget straight out the water!
1. Replace the aerial and tape deck with a Bluetooth based system
2. Fit parking sensors
3. New central cubby lid
4. Re-instate front interior light (not sure why this was taken out in the first place!)
5. Split charge system, extra battery, inverter and extra sockets, etc.
6. Upgrade interior bulbs with LEDs
7. Fit LED lights in upper tailgate
8. Stainless sheet on boot lid
9. Ladder foot mounts on both sides.
10. Rear wheel carrier (of some sort)
11. Cargo barrier
12. Tyre pressure sensors
13. Rear storage system
14. Roof rack
15. Side Awning
16. Roof tent
17. Fridge
18. Rack mounted storage box

Slightly more remedial work than I'd hoped, but a lot less than it could have been... In addition to some general maintenance, tidying up, disk and all over fluid replacement, it looks like the near side front axle needs rebuilding, the rear exhaust mount needs replacing, there are some rust spots that need repairing, Julian wants to replace the clutch and of course the suspension springs need to be upgraded... Am heading up tomorrow to get stuck into it.

Need to work out what from the desired works list to cut back on and/or get in SA in order to stay within budget... Doing any of the below is likely to push me over; the whole lot is blowing the budget straight out the water!
1. Replace the aerial and tape deck with a Bluetooth based system a parrot hands-free can be got off e-bay new or s/hand which would give you a USB input to a sound system, assuming you have speakers. I've got one going for free but the postage might be a bit over the top...
2. Fit parking sensors I wouldn't bother myself with them
3. New central cubby lid Karl Webster may be able to help you there
4. Re-instate front interior light (not sure why this was taken out in the first place!) Karl again...
5. Split charge system, extra battery, inverter and extra sockets, etc. Not cheap, but there's lots of info on this forum
6. Upgrade interior bulbs with LED cheap and available
7. Fit LED lights in upper tailgate also cheap off eBay
8. Stainless sheet on boot lid not so cheap
9. Ladder foot mounts on both sides.???
10. Rear wheel carrier (of some sort) certainly not cheap but worthwhile
11. Cargo barrier should be reasonably priced on eBay
12. Tyre pressure sensors are these really necessary??
13. Rear storage system oh yes, but you could make your own much cheaper
14. Roof rack Froggy Steve got a great deal, if you search you'll find where he got it from
15. Side Awning not cheap but available second hand
16. Roof tent not cheap, but a wide variety available, new or second hand
17. Fridge Ditto
18. Rack mounted storage box Ditto

mmmm, that's quite a list, my opinion in red for what it's worth... Lots of the above have been offered s/hand on the forum...:think:

Damn. Sent you a response and it never posted :(

Think again on the stainless tailgate lid. It's unusable in the strong sun and heat. Acts like a big mirror. Rather go with 3mm ply covered with 3mm black rubber used for garage flooring. Easy to use and easy to clean.

Think again on the stainless tailgate lid. It's unusable in the strong sun and heat. Acts like a big mirror. Rather go with 3mm ply covered with 3mm black rubber used for garage flooring. Easy to use and easy to clean.

Thanks Gary - that never crossed my mind!

Thanks for the advice Clive! Will have a look into suggestions.

2. Fit parking sensors I wouldn't bother myself with them
- most of the accidents people I know have had in their 4x4s have involved reversing into something they couldn't see, although to be fair parking sensors haven't always solved that problem... ;)

9. Ladder foot mounts on both sides.???
- I'm a short'un and need to climbing up to the roof (and the tailgate for that matter!)

Instead of parking sensors go for a rear view camera - cheapies easily available ;) and don't get covered in muck so easily

Back