Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota land cruiser 120 shakes in Drive and Reverse

Alex Andrei

Country Flag
romania
Hello friends my name is Alex i am new here, and hope i can fix my lc120 2008 problems . At cold start when i put the car in reverse and drive and waithing whit my foot the on break the car shakes hard enought after the engine warm up it stop shaking that hard i mention that i was whit the car in service and they couldn.t give an answear for this shakings/ vibration. Someone have this probleme befor ? Please hepl me! Thx

Hi Alex, my 2009 LC120 auto also shakes when cold and held on footbrake - but clearly not as badly as yours. Mine stops shaking if I put it into Neutral, so I imagine it's something in the auto gearbox - I just live with it TBH....

For me, it's just loading up the engine by engaging it to the resistance of the stalled transmission through the torque converter. Any auto will change engine note when put into D or R as it wants to get going. However it sounds to me like, perhaps the engine is running slower than usual when cold.

Has this been OK before but has begun to do this more recently? Is it petrol or diesel? How many miles? Has it been regularly serviced with new air and fuel filters?

I doubt it is anything to do with the auto box, however there has been mention on here about torque converters losing a vane internally. I've not experienced this but I would imagine it to be far more dramatic than what you describe. Maybe others know different.

Try using the 'power' switch to get it to warm up quickly. The shakes are well documented elsewhere - there's a lot of wizardry going on to get everything warmed up fast on the 120 and the engine mounts are quite soft to make the ride smoother. At start it's noisy and quite rough.

Wouldn't hurt to check all the vacuum hoses going to the engine mounts etc though.

hello again thx for your answears. My car is an diesel one whit 204000 km and it was serviced regulary and my car stop shaking when is it in Neutral. A friend told me that i should check the engine buffer.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine did exactly as described; shake when stopped in drive or reverse, very noticeable if you put your hand on the transfer box lever. No shaking in neutral or park. I always assumed it was engine mounts. When I replaced my injectors all the shaking stopped.

Rob,
Yours did that all the time or only when it was cold?
Mine in the summer when the engine is wormed up it does not shake..

It was definitely all the time by the time I changed the injectors. I can't remember if it started doing it only when cold. It was certainly rattley when cold. It's easy enough to check how worn the injectors are with Techstream though. No need to spend hundreds changing them for no reason. They should last 100,000 miles or more. I changed mine on about 130,000 miles. So if yours only has 50,000 miles on it for example, it's also probably not that.

Probably it’s only the begining for mine(aprox 100,000 miles),because a mechanic from Toyota recomended to check the injectors(i was suspecting engine mounts as well as you...and he said in 15 years since he works as a toyota mechanic never changed engine mounts at this model)

I have also experienced this problem but seems simple enough to figure out. On cold start up the engine revs slightly higher when cold.
If you put your foot on the brake after a short journey its seems your slowing the engine idle down when its trying to run faster cos its cold.
Just like everyone else when my car is warmer its sounds quieter.
Just my theory but seems to work for me.
P, s mine has done 221000 miles and still lives on.

P, s i wouldn't worry to much about it.

Tony, do you have the power heat button pushed in ? That's designed to increase the revs for faster warm up, and if you don't switch it off by the button it's always on for a cold start.
When the engine warms up it is cancelled but not switched off, so will come on every time.

I only use the power up button for ice otherwise no i dont use it. I just think the topic in question is a lot more common than were talking about here.

Tony, yep, it is a common thing experienced by most, I have it in the form of what I would described as 'pulsing' being felt, which goes away when engine warm. I was just really trying to clarify the extra revs which are associated with the power heat.
Karl, me too !

Back