Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

To VX or not to VX?

godzilla

Country Flag
scotland
HI guys,

Thought I keep this thread seperate from my others.

My wife just called me mad for looking for a cloth seated jeep!

So question is what's the VX got that the GX has not?

I need to somehow explain the pros and cons in a 90 version model - I know the leather vs cloth debate, but anything else else I can tell her re: the VX

I guess this goes out to VX owners!

All comment appreciated

VX = leather - hot in summer and cold in winter!
The end
GX owner who wouldnt like leather anyway...unless its a SAAB where you can cool or heat the seats!
BTW, why are you looking at a Jeep?

nicely put, i guess that takes care if the seats, just the vx extras over the gx left!

Mine's a VX, it has cloth seats. It's an 81 import.

I have black leather seats in my Smart. Cold in winter except when the heated seats are on and blisteringly hot in summer after getting in in shorts with the roof down. So I agree with Steve on that note.

The leather VX must be a choice then

but, what of the other VX specs, do they make the much of a difference and worth the extra few ££ - when considering over a GX?

I think I've seen somewhere that there's only two differences IIRC between a VX and a GX UK spec vehicle and one of those is leather seats.

Can't help much more I'm afraid.

Edit, it seems I've wandered into 90 territory so my 81 info is probably about as much use as an iron rod in a thunderstorm.

As you were then!![emoji53]

Good luck with it anyway.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I wouldn't narrow my search to a badge a top spec truck is just a base spec with all the optional extra's included . Is a sunroof the other thing Starcruiser ?

Can't remember for sure. I know some have sun roofs and some not but I am not sure. Anyway I was thinking 80 series as I missed that the question was about a 90 even though it's there on the OP.

I need a holiday I reckon.

And mine's an FX :icon-smile:. Narrow body (no fragile arch extensions to knock off - or body moulding clip holes to corrode), manual box, cloth seats & damn near rust free... not too shabby for 14 yr old truck.

HI guys,

The VX/GX debate is driving me mad, I will off to the library next to find that wohlfarth book!!

I have had to google some pics to show the wife the difference, but the extras are a nightmare

And mine's an FX :icon-smile:. Narrow body (no fragile arch extensions to knock off - or body moulding clip holes to corrode), manual box, cloth seats & damn near rust free... not too shabby for 14 yr old truck.

Hi Euan,

looking forward to the pics

how was the visit/day out, if you want to call it that!

My VX has tan leather seats so dont really get that hot in the summer, in the winter you just heat them so again not a problem. i like the electric aerial you can retract from inside the car if your offroading.

electric heated mirrors
roof bars
electric seat adjustment

and i think most VX's come with the auto box. where as the you see a lot more manual GX spec.

So thats 4-5 extras over the GX, I guess those creature comforts are coming in as I wont be hitting the mud (sadly), more of a family/work workhorse

If I was in your position and time was precious (i.e. didn't have forever to find the "perfect" truck), then I would do a search, look at a few so I know what to expect and then buy the best condition Cruiser within my budget.

None of the "extras" of a VX make a big difference IMHO. I would make a checklist of your requirements and try and order it by priority.

So for example, if leather is essential, then you're effectively whittled the choice down to VXs only. However, if you don't want leather but an autobox is important, then both VXs & GXs may fit the bill. For me leather and aircon was a must as was an autobox.

The other stuff like electric adjustment of the seats, heated mirrors etc. is "nice to have".

YMMV. Good luck in your search. :thumbup:

Good advice Chadr if you ask me. The only thing I would add is that if I have more toys or better spec than I wanted I never regret it. If I compromise on something and don't have it then I often think 'I wish I'd got xyz'

cheers Chadr

Its a bit of a nightmare at the moment as just as I narrow down the search, something come up. Family dont like it, want this, dont like that, hate the colour, so I am writing needing to triple check all the specs from all the owners to see which one it will be!

One owner has been in touch and I am checking out the car pics this weekend hopefully and showing it to the family. I will be in a better position to know if that's the one or its a higher spec one required.

From what I have noted, the manual seem to have less problems than the autos (but its a LC, service it and not a problem)
VX has some (some) extras over the GX, so pros and cons on the long haul trip (live in Wales, but most family in scotland) and work (all over) will involve the car and driving there and back. And then the show off factor, look what this buttom does and then never use it again

Had a L reg toyota corolla for over 10 years with cloth seats, almost the same cloth seats as the GX, they lasted intact until I give the car away, comfy as hell

So I am torn between all the models, but the engine 3.0 or the d4d - thats interesting, so far fuel may become a factor if you are getting more out of the d4d - and thats Y reg onwards

nightmare is ongoing

If I compromise on something and don't have it then I often think 'I wish I'd got xyz'

That's me exactly too - hence why I went for a VX with ALL the toys :icon-wink:

Personally speaking I always prefer leather and have always gone for that where available. You always have the option of fitting some decent canvas seat covers, whereas it doesn't work in reverse.

I think the one I am/will be looking at is the FX mentioned above. Hopefully once thats been checked with the family, I will know if leathers and extras are a must.

Had cloth in all my cars (all japanese) since 2000, never had a problem with it. But, its the extras that the family is going mad about infact, its almost like my 9 year old is buying the car!

From what you are saying I reckon a late model GX will have everything you need. The FX is a bit basic, and I don't think it looks as good. It also has narrow spec steel wheels and tyres.

The later D4D engine I'd quite economical... I consistently get 31 mpg which is about 480-500 miles per tank. Any GX you buy will have AC, electric mirrors, heated mirrors, etc... But it's stuff like heated seats and the inclinometer pod only come on the VX. I've never missed them myself.

The cloth seats are very comfortable... Even for silly long drives to Italy..

And silver is the best colour.. as even in GX spec it's not 2 tone!

Bob

From what you are saying I reckon a late model GX will have everything you need. The FX is a bit basic, and I don't think it looks as good. It also has narrow spec steel wheels and tyres.

The later D4D engine I'd quite economical... I consistently get 31 mpg which is about 480-500 miles per tank. Any GX you buy will have AC, electric mirrors, heated mirrors, etc... But it's stuff like heated seats and the inclinometer pod only come on the VX. I've never missed them myself.

The cloth seats are very comfortable... Even for silly long drives to Italy..

And silver is the best colour.. as even in GX spec it's not 2 tone!

Bob

Cheers Bob

So it looks like my search is being narrowed down after all,

Its a late 2001-02+ or model 51 plate+ to be on the safe side (D4D) and GX and if a VX comes along thats a bonus!

But is 150K classed as average for, lets say 51-52 plate or should it be around the 130-140K?

Back