Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine start problems

Whopydk

Country Flag
denmark
Hey guys,

My LJ70 has the last 3 days been having real trouble starting. I have to keep the starter running for more than 20secs, on full choke, and then it coughs to life. When its going, it runs just fine. It turns over just fine too.
It had the same problems back in november, and some new glow plugs fixed that. But it cant possibly be the plugs already again?

Both batteries is just fine, and charged too.

Oh, and i am no tech at all, i just like driving my little LJ. I just hope it wont be expensive :p

Hi it is a diesel you have? there is no choke on a diesel. i think you mean the hand throttle dont touch it. try too change diesel filter

Also test that you have 12v on your Heater plug connection when they are supposed to be on before starting. Air filter worth a check too.

Last edited:
Your fuel is probably draining back down the lines hence the need to turn the engine over so long before it starts. I'm guessing if you turn it off and try to start it straight after it'll fire? Or not?

Does sound like either glow plugs or fuel.

Id rule out the glow plugs first by using a multimeter, or even a piece of wire and a bulb to check you have power going to the glow plugs when you turn the ignition on.

You could also use a piece of wire or a jump lead to link the positive terminal of the battery to the metal plate that links all the glow plugs together, for 10 seconds and then try starting it.

Hey guys,

I checked it over today, following your suggestions, and all seems okay.

Beau, i think you might be right though. After turning it off, it starts just fine. And after 2-3 hours it does the same again. Is there an easy sollution to this?

I dont mind it too much as long as it does not do any damage in the long run. But the neighbors are already complaining about the noise when i leave at 6 :icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Might be worth checking all your fuel lines and fuel connections to make sure there isn't a split in the hose allowing air into your fuel system each time you stop it or a loose connectionletting air in.

Although you would expect diesel to be leaking out some where once the engine is running.:think:
Have you or somebody else changed your fuel filter recently?:think: Maybe it's a fraction loose.:icon-idea:

Before you start the engine after a long period ,try pumping the priming button at the top of your fuel filter, until it gets hard.
If the motor starts after 10-20 seconds of cranking , you know that you have a small air leak in the fuel system between the injection pump and the filter housing. Usually the diaphragm in the primer gets a small pin hole in it . Replace with new filter housing.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! Ill try and take a look at filter and hoses tomorrow! :thumbup:

As others have said, check your lines and make sure there's no leaks in the system. If there's no leaks it might be worth putting a check valve in the line to stop the fuel draining back

I had this after a garage changed my fuel filter , I primed it a few times over the space of a week but always when it was inconvenient so with no thoughtful effort and the problem continued . Finally losing my temper with it one morning I climbed up and knelt on the air box and pumped like a like a lunatic until the plunger would hardly move and the truck started no problem , so I turned it off repeated the same twice more . I've never had a problem with it since .

Its quite common for air to enter the fuel system without diesel dripping out . The tank is lower than the injection pump ,so its syphons it back to the tank
The air leak will almost certainly be between the injection pump and the filter.

I did find a leak between the injection pump, and the filter. A new hose, and she now starts perfect!! Thanks for the help guys :D

Nice one. Feels good finding something like that and getting an instant result.

Yeah, especially, as i am a complete noob/beginner with engines. :)

Back