Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help finding laptop

Shayne

Guru
Can anyone help me finding a Sony vaio laptop with a windows 7 operating system .

Mines is (SVE1511A1EB) and just died but it was perfectly adequate for my needs . I like the vaio because the power lead plug is not soldered to the motherboard which is what eventually killed every other laptop I've owned .

right now I'm on a super duper iPad Air and I haven't had this much fun since the last time I had a tooth abcess , so my search is hampered somewhat and any help would be appreciated .

tried deleting this but can't ? Got one being delivered already .

Last edited:
And it arrived bust , so much for argos outlet's manufacturer refurbished quality guarantee :cry: might go down to cash generator and see what they have there :|

That's bad news from a place like Argos, a back street shark maybe, but Argos should be more concerned of their reputation.

No reflection on Argos really "outlet" basically means they are shop returns sold via a third party , I think my last laptop came from there and it was brand new at a third less than retail price . I'm just annoyed because it's easter weekend so I won't be getting a laptop now for a week even if I do find one with IE7 . Tesco are wise to IE8 being rubbish they only sell two with IE7 installed and both are over £800 :shock:

How bad is windows 8.1 to be less than half the price of the very few new windows 7 laptops I can find ?

my new laptop is on windows 8.1 and its fine I don't use the touch screen bits very much though

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Mark you just reinforced my allergy to windows 8 :lol: touchscreen is the devils own invention and I fail to see how a system designed specifically for touchscreen can work well when you don't have a touchscreen :wtf:

sorted now though I noticed while re packing it for return the repair guarantee states that collection and return will be dealt with by the third party :think: requesting a return via ebay just got me a return address which would leave me about 25 quid out of pocket .

A couple of phone calls later the third party will collect repair and return free of charge or if I prefer Argos will send me a pre-paid returns label and a full refund .

Credit where credits due both Argos and the third party were obviously confused by my complaint because the laptop should never have been sent out in less than perfect working order . And from my point of view I can see why this laptop passed their tests , returned to factory settings means no operating system issues and a visually inspection reveals not a scratch , obviously nobody would then attempt to connect to the Internet or else they would have to start again which is why the physical wifi on/off switch went untested .

Shayne, even though 8.1 is touchscreen orientated you can use it taditionally with a desk top and normal layout. A few minor changes but didn't take me long to get used to it.

I had 7, and upgraded to 8, initially hated it, but the very latest version is the best of the bunch.

Forgive me for presuming Shayne, but you sound a bit like me, just resistant to change.

At every platform change, I groan. The latest version of Office on Windows, I really hated, word and outlook, they took me ages to get used to. Anyway, I didn't have any choice, so I persevered and now we're ok with each other :lol:

Technology seems to me to be one of those things that if you don't embrace it, it simply works against you. JMO of course.

Consider yourself forgiven Clive :lol: I don't blame anyone but myself , Im on a ridiculously expensive ipad right now and also I have a stupidly expensive 55 inch smart TV both of which I can use if I choose to and both of which just ruin my day if I'm forced to . I much prefer a 99p calculator that will only do what I ask of it and nothing more , just old fashioned I guess but windows 7 only has a couple of hundred thousand features I don't want or need which makes it easier to live with .

im having my new laptop repaired :thumbup:

Windows 7 is better for me, but I can use both. Whats up with the laptop as I might be able to fix it for you?

Cheers Paul but I can usually fix them myself , motherboards dead in the old one and I'm surprised it lasted so long after spending a month in the boot with all my tools and every Tom dick and Harry chucking lobster pots and whatnot on top of it but it kept going even with 2 inches missing off one corner . The new one is an easy fix the plastic wifi on/off switch is disconnected inside I may as well let them fix it as my years guarantee will begin when it's returned , just a shame it's easter so it won't even be collected until next week .

Back