Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

5vz-fe stalling at idle

tsviatko

That just started happening today. And it happened a lot :icon-biggrin:

I'd switch to neutral while driving and in a couple of seconds the engine is off. That happened like 4 or 5 times in a row. Then I pulled over and just let it idle. That worked just fine. Then I tried steering left and right while still in place and I got the RPMs drop and engine stall a couple of times.

So, what could cause this? So far, in my point of view the idle control valve is the most likely cause. The other possibility is a faulty sensor, i.e .TPS, Crank/Camshaft position sensor or MAF.

When in gear the engine runs really fine. So, I guess having a faulty sensor is not really likely. That's why I blame it on the ICV. Am I missing something? Any other ideas, guys?

My 3VZE had a lumpy idle at one point; it had dropped it's idle speed... so I cleaned up the throttle body (carefully) and that restored it to the correct speed. My inclination would be to pull the intake hose, and check the throttle body for gunk from the crank case ventilation system, as I suspect that was the problem on mine.

Thanks for bearing with me on this one, guys.

The throttle body is clean. I cleaned it half an year ago anyways.

I am gonna check out on the grounds and electrical connections in general, though. That's something I never thought of so far.

Back