Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New to this board, not new to 4x4, sort of new to Land Cruisers

Highway_Star

Country Flag
scotland
Greetings all,

I'm Pete, and I live in Fife, Scotland.

I've had Range Rovers for 20+ years, still have on in fact.

I'm about to fall heir to a 2001 Land Cruiser Colorado SWB diesel. It was my late dad's from new, and now my mum has decided to replace it with a Rav4.

It's been pretty well looked after, never raced or rallied. I'm looking at it as another 4x4 addition to the family fleet and a diesel so it will be a bit less costly to fuel than the Range Rover. Basically it'll be the wife's winter run about.

There's an ongoing issue with power loss, tomorrow I'm planning to change the fuel filter and maybe have a look at the lift pump, assuming there's one in the tank?

Anyhoo, this looks like a good place to learn.

Welcome to the forum Pete :text-welcomewave: and congrats on your newly acquired Landcruiser, but sorry that it was under such sad circumstances.

Thanks Clive, my dad passed 7 years ago. Mum is only now replacing the car as it's started to give niggles. She's nearly 70 and doesn't need any vehicular hassles.

I've got to replace the back shockers and a front brake pipe, as well as investigate this power loss.

After that give the underside a good clean and get some rustproofing done. Can you tell I'm used to Range Rovers?!

Hi I drive a 1998 swb collie (kzj90) and have just got myself a 2001 version as well which happens to be an intercooled kdj90 and I believe its down on power to , my first port of call while investigating this will be halfords for a can of Wynns EGR cleaner and spray it down the intake hoping for an easy fix .

Today I changed the fuel filter under the bonnet. The result is an improvement, not a cure.

Gone is the engine management warning light. The engine pulls much better.

But still got this weird thing where you hit about 2500rpm under load and it dies. Doesn't stall or run rough just won't get any faster. Off load the engine revvs freely.

No smoke. Often you'll have your foot on the floor, no acceleration, then suddenly you get a couple of seconds of power then it dies off again.

Need to investigate any strainers or filters in the tank next.

Hopefully there's an access flap like the Range Rover...

I've got a can of 10K boost intake cleaner ordered too.

Theres a gauze filter on the pickup in the tank. Also check for any other inline filters.

I recall theres a small hatch in tbe boot floor you can inscrew, the puckup is directly below.

Does sound like fuel starvation.

Also consider debris in the tank.

I assume your 70 year old mum isnt running it on veg oil?

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers wobbly, I stuck me head under the back end and it does indeed look like there's a hatch. Just need to figure out how the hell the boot carpet comes out.

I found something on a short pipe off the tank, looks like a breather. It's a plastic cylinder about 1.2" long by 1" diameter. Looks like it's open to atmosphere at one end and probably contains a one way valve.

No, mum hasn't been running it on veg oil. Lately she's been putting the expensive diesel in.

It's done this before, equally as suddenly it stopped doing it so at the time we put it down to something nasty in Tesco diesel. She's never bought Tesco diesel since.

Would I be right in thinking that your cruiser has a diesel particulate filter in the exhaust? And that your dear mum would have a light touch on the accelerator? And that she does mainly short journeys?

Not sure about the DPF StarCruiser, I'll have to stick my head under and have a look.

I had DPF blockage/failure which led to EGR and Turbo failure and eventually engine running on it's own lube oil on a Focus TDCi, thankfully leased. That car did mainly motorway runs and being a company car wasn't driven gently, so I'm not convinced that there's much in the short vs long runs thing with DPFs. I think DPFs are just crap.

She does tend to do short trips, but makes a point of doing a 40 odd mile round trip by motorway every week.

The Italian tune up is on my list of things to try :) Chuck some gluggy cleaner in the fuel tank and thrash it for half a day.

I've put some Diesel bug treatment in, you never know.

As I said, this did all start after a tank of Tesco's cheapest.

Just checking it was the engine we all assumed it should be .

d4D in a 2001?

Another thought.....as you live if fife, check the fuel lines for corrosion caused by road salt.

Is it auto? If so, a new rad would be a good idea, as they are prone to mixing atf with antifreeze.

Far as I can work out the 1kd arrived in the uk late 2000 , a direct injection upgrade , but d4d badge wasn't added until later .
I could be wrong but the 2001 1KD I have has the usual GX badge same as my 1998 truck and there's not a d4d badge on it anywhere ?

Ok, this is all goof and useful.

It does have a GX badge, I seem to remember my dad waiting before ordering it, something to do with a new engine. Would that be direct injection?

The fuel lines being corroded and maybe sucking in air has occurred to me.
The underside is in reasonable nick, it will need a going over with a wire wheel and then some protection applying.
Twice in the cars life it's had pipes to the rear cabin heater replaced that had corroded, so it's reasonable to expect the fuel pipes could be in a similar state.

I replaced the steel fuel pipes on my Range Rover at about the same age, I ran high pressure fuel hose from tank to fuel rail. It wouldn't be too much hassle to do the same on the LC.

That's the very fella 1KD-FTV , seems like Toyota redesigned the top half of the 1KZ , probably due to emission laws , then realised with a few minor changes to the bottom half of the engine they could market it as the all new singing and dancing 2KD-FTV which was marketed as the D4D hence the big badges on 2002 models .

Under the the bonnet on the bulkhead plate it will say KDJ90 . Typically swb are manual and lwb are auto , if it's an auto you should ask here for advice about the oil cooler ?

ive mucked about with my 1KZ adding an intercooler and blocking the EGR and stuff to up the power , so looked into what can be done with my newer truck and the answer is not much . Tuning chip and 3" exhaust is all I can think off because the EGR on these things is a very involved setup and I reckon blocking it will likely just put you in limp mode .

I'm learning a lot here.

It is manual 5 speed. The box is a bit clunky but not in the league of say the LT85 in a Land Rover.

This wee green LC isn't lacking in power, when it's working properly. It's this intermittent lack of oomph that is frustrating right now.

The 10k spray made it knock, and the revs went all over the place. A brief drive revealed a definite improvement, not a cure.

On to the fuel tank pick ups and possibly pipes next!

Is there a lift pump at the tank end?

There is what I think is a pressure switch in the filter housing, on the top. I had a poke at it with a meter, it was open circuit with no pressure which I was a bit surprised at. Disconnecting makes no odds to the issue either.

I've had mine a week and driven it a mile so I'm not much good to you in that respect , all I can say is the Mrs tried her best and failed to keep up with me for 3 hours on the motorway getting it home but taking it around the block today I did find it had far more go than it had when I test drove it before buying . 98k on mine and the gear change is smooth .

Something else that may be worth investigating is the air intake hoses from the air filter to the turbo are not collapsing when under hard acceleration.
As they get older they can get soft and suckin and block of air intake to the motor but you back of the accelerator they reform and alot some air in till
they reach that point where they collapse again.

Having said this you would nromally get more smoke when this happens.:think:

Thanks Ben, that's something else to add to the list.

I've started a new thread in 90 series forum, to avoid my intro thread going way off topic.

Back