Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Restoring hardened window rubbers

hopeless wanderer

Country Flag
england
Hi

Having just got a full set of used window rubbers for 30 quid (still pliable and in good condition)
I wanted to know has anyone any advice on lubricants i can us that will not degrade the rubber and keep the channels conditioned ?
Also i stumbled accross the below thread regarding wintergreen oil to rejeuvanate tired rubber has anyone tried it ?

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,62328.125.html

I replaced my window rubbers last sunday. Easy job!
this is what i found on youtube : http://youtu.be/_PHywpJR4gY
They use 'ballistol', a universal spray.
btw also usable as a desinfectant and for the leather seats.

It is a gun oil as well a bit like wd 40 and is a lubricant but it stinks .

If we're talking about the electric window rubbers, I tried some silicone based rubber lubricants on mine and it made no difference. After fitting new rubbers the window operation is transformed. You don't really want any lube in there anyway IMO as all it does is attract dust and road dirt which builds up and clogs the glass channel, eventually causing sticky windows again.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Way to go! No matter what I did only when got new made difference. Permanent.

this also is a job that needs to be done on my LC.
But i find the rubbers very expansive, about 45€ per window.
but i'll bet they wil stay perfect for the next 15 years.

Last edited:
I haven't seen them as they're in New Zealand, They are bendy enough to fit in a Jiffy bag so its a good sign.
I was put off by the cost of them too. It's the first job on a long list as i had to get out to get the parking ticket in a multi storey car park ...... Not cool

I tried cleaning them, didn't work, silicone spray, didn't work, doubled up on the power wires, didn't work. Saw the YouTube vid on Ballistol, great, bought a huge can by mistake, and the wipes…didn't work. Bit the bullet after reading a thread on here and ordered a full set from Amayama with all my other stuff and……perfect, easy to change, only had to take one front door card off. £30 each tops plus import and VAT but that's less than half Toyota want at £80 ish each. Wish I'd done it long ago my windows now work. I could hold the old ones out horizontal they were so solid. Best thing I've done to date.

Last edited:
I tried cleaning them, didn't work, silicone spray, didn't work, doubled up on the power wires, didn't work. Saw the YouTube vid on Ballistol, great, bought a huge can by mistake, and the wipes…didn't work. Bit the bullet after reading a thread on here and ordered a full set from Amayama with all my other stuff and……perfect, easy to change, only had to take one front door card off. £30 each tops plus import and VAT but that's less than half Toyota want at £80 ish each. Wish I'd done it long ago my windows now work. I could hold the old ones out horizontal they were so solid. Best thing I've done to date.

If I could have got them from Toyota for £80 each I'd have bought them there and then! I was quoted £111 each, plus they where on back order so I would have to wait for them anyway. Price with shipping from Amayama was just over £44 each, plus Vat plus £12 added on by Parcelforce for 'handling' charges!

That price was a few years back from memory, before I started thinking I could improve them.

Last edited:
I bought them a few weeks ago at all american import in holland.
i'll check the invoice tomorrow.
New ones makes a huge difference indeed!

Toyota part number

If I could have got them from Toyota for £80 each I'd have bought them there and then! I was quoted £111 each, plus they where on back order so I would have to wait for them anyway. Price with shipping from Amayama was just over £44 each, plus Vat plus £12 added on by Parcelforce for 'handling' charges!

Do Toyota have a part number for the "shirt off your back?"
111 pounds ?!?! thats insanity

Think my new one's were 80 quid each from Simon Holton he is always worth a try

Part nr
68151-60010 front door LH
68141-60010 front door RH
50GBP each + vat + transport (10£ approx)

Last edited:
Even though I replaced the window rubbers a while back they never were 'fast' I bought come of that Balistol, now they leap up and down like mad things.

Back