Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil leak?

Edward Moyse

Just noticed this. I guess I'd better get it sorted ASAP? :-( Anyone want to hazard a guess where it's coming from? It's already going in next Wed to have the brakes looked at so I hope it can wait until then. It's a new garage though so I'd prefer to see how they do with the brakes before asking for anything else.

2678f5f67a4861b6f8453e19f4a58530.jpg

20bc3a78461a686b75116ddea3210106.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that will be the seal on the half shaft that holds the oil in the axle. You may want to get your axle breather checked as well.

If you are lucky it might ONLY be the breather. I have had that before.

As others have said Edward, check the breather tube isnt blocked.

If you pull the breather tube off the diff and listen carefully you will hear it hiss when it pulls off if its blocked as it will have built up pressure inside the diff.

If your having the brakes done anyway then it would be better to have them replace the oil seal at the same time, if you dont then the new brakes they fit will quickly become contaminated with diff oil like your current ones will be, if the seal is still leaking.

For oil seals only fit genuine!

Good luck. :thumbup:

Hi all - thanks for the tips!

I pulled the valve off the top of the breather tube, as it seemed easier than getting the clip off the tube where it joined the diff, but I didn't hear any hiss. Maybe I missed it - I was doing it in a car park, and so there was a bit of background noise.

Unfortunately the garage was actually only going to look at the front brakes, but I'll ask them what they think when I get it in there. Is it worth trying to fill up the diff with oil before going there? It's about a 5min drive and I don't think a huge amount of oil has come out (though to be honest I don't exactly know how long this has been going on for). If so, are there any good guides anyone knows about? I've never done it before, but I imagine it's not rocket science (assuming the bolts aren't rusted on, which they probably are knowing my luck ... ;-) )

Hmm, thing is it can be the tube that's blocked. Always best to tug the thing off the diff really. Anyhoo.. You can't really lose all of your oil through the wheel unless you park at 45 degrees every night. I honestly wouldn't think that 5 mins is going to make any difference at this point. Putting oil in is about as easy as it gets. There is a big bolt on the front of the diff. Unscrew that, poke plastic tube from oil bottle in and squeeze. The thing is that the flat headed plugs can be a swine to get out. This is why we always say take the filler out before you take the drain plug out. That way you don't end up with an empty diff and no way to fill it up again. You can go through the breather but it will take you a week.

The flat plug is a pain. Best to get a socket and machine the face flat to stop it slipping off the bolt head. Or get your garage to do it .... It's a simple job if it's something you can do.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok thanks a lot Chris - I'll try to pull the bottom of the tube off (though I can't really see how it can blocked -isn't it effectively sealed at both ends?)

Thanks also for re-assuring me that I won't do damage by driving it, and for the detailed instructions.

It sounds like something I'd best leave to the garage this time. It's really frustrating - I bought this truck having grand designs of learning more about being a mechanic by working on it, once I had a bit more time. But time is something I have less of than ever, what with work*, the house I'm building, etc etc

Oh well, at least I get to experience it vicariously by reading threads like yours on this forum! ;-)

Cheers,

Ed

*http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32106990

Went to garage this morning. It's quite far out so I had my bike with me to cycle to a place where I could work while I waited. They called me once to discuss ordering the oil seals for the back. I said sure, order them (it was in this time to sort out the front brakes).

Cycled back to the garage.

French garage: We need to order oil seals.
Me: I know - we discussed this. Go ahead. I'll bring it back in once you have them.
French garage: Okay, we'll sort out the front brakes then too.
Me: Wait, what, why didn't you do it now?!? What have you been doing for two hours?
French garage: Well, we found that the back brakes had oil on and we need to order parts.
Me: I know! We discussed this, but why didn't you sort out the front brakes, which is what it was in for!??
French garage: But we found an oil leak at the back and needed to order parts. Anyway we don't really do 4x4s ... call this number. Maybe he can help you out?

I swear to god that living in France is taking years off my life.

Spoke to a Swiss garage - he said they can perhaps do it next week but it'll probably cost 1000 CHF.

:cry:

Thats really not good! :thumbdown:

Its one of the main reasons I do all my own mechanical work apart from tyre changes and aircon as it avoids this sort of hassle!

I will get all those FSM's emailed across to you when I'm home in a day or 2. The jobs you need to do arnt too difficult, especially with all the instructions and diagrams in the FSM. But I understand your short of spare time! :icon-smile:

Time, space, tools and expertise probably. I'm kind of hoping that the FSM (thanks again btw!) might save the guy at the garage some time (and me some money).

It not a complex job. Its the same as any rear wheel drive car with a semi floater axle. I think any decent mechanic would do it inside a couple of hours

Getting the truck back this afternoon. Apparently the front right wheel bearing was loose, which was causing the grinding noise. Left rear bearing was totally gone, hence the oil leak. Valve head gasket was also leaking oil badly (I hadn't spotted that - thought it was just the leak from the sump). Exhaust manifold was 3mm off from true, so is being machined as we speak. Oh and basically all the brakes are being changed.

Not looking forward to the bill, but REALLY looking forward to having a happy truck again.

2300 CHF. Ouch. I've now spent more repairing my truck than it cost to buy. Is there a club badge I get or something at this point? ;-)

:doh:

The joys of having to pay people to work on you're truck! :shifty:

Back