Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tail lights - first call for help

BarryC

Country Flag
scotland
Ok so the Rear lights do not work (just the main night time lights).

What I have done:

Checked fuse (10 amp 3rd from the top Rbs column) - ok
Checked all fuses in fuse box - ok
Removed light clusters - both sides
Checked all bulbs - ok
Checked volt reading on cables to both clusters - 0.00 (front lights were in)

Checked by reading across fuse points (removed fuse) - 12v Approx (front lights were on)

Ran cable from -ve side of battery and pugged light cluster in to see if return / earth problem - no lights

Ran cable from +ve side of battery and plugged in light cluster to see if supply side problem - got lights. So I know it's the positive side somewhere between the fuse box and the lights.

Is there a relay somewhere that I can seek to bypass (to test)

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance

Just to clarify - when sidelights are switched on - just the front sidelights work NOT the rear tail lights...... and when headlights ("main night time lights") are switched on everything works? Is that correct?

If so..... very weird!!!!

ps - just a thought - it is the "bottom" red lights that are the sidelights - the top ones are brake lights? My sincere apologies if this is obvious... :)

Last edited:
You are shitting me! That would certainly explain the "supply side problem".

I'll be right back!

Life lesson: check the simple things first.

Having been stopped by the police and having him point to the lights at the top was a red herring indeed.

Two bulbs later and a little clean up and we are good to go.

I'm going to give everyone a right laugh in just a few minutes.

image.jpg

This is was the effort chasing cables to see if any aftermarket stuff had been added to it. There are other things that are a bit botched (TV / DVD player / etc).

Longest lightbulb change EVER!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice one Barry.... made me laugh!

ps ....My wife has just come in and I showed what you have done.... you have made our night - so funny.... well done for posting that hilarious pic - love it!

Last edited:
Barry
You are a legend
Just shown the lads at work and you have made their day :laughing-rolling:

It all went back together quickly with the added advantage of a good spring clean under all trim and the carpets were given a total overhaul, also caught some early rust spots so some good came out of my poor decisions

Superb forum with good discussion and amazing information. which is helpful for us. Thanks

it was a european law thing, it was considered that the spare wheel obstructed the opposite light cluster on roundabouts etc.

So the main lights had to be lowered to the bumper. The real confusion is when people add the spare wheel door to their cars and dont install the light bumper too!

Back