Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Large panel van

greengrass

Country Flag
england
I know is a non land cruiser but know a few people on here run vans like myself.

Its time to look for a used large panel van.

I've got a Hi-lux and a VW crafter tipper which I'm really pleased with and have been looking at the panel vans versions but couldn't help notice that Iveco Daily's seem to be better value second hand.
Does anyone have first hand experience with these vans once they've got a few miles on them??
Are they cheap because they fall to bits or just the fiat stigma hanging on from old??

Have heard some horror stories about the later sprinter engines and won't ever touch another Transit again.

What sort of age are you looking at? We have a 2005 Iveco Daily tipper at work, and for the 3.5t models the payload is crap. As in, by the time staff and tools are aboard we can't load more than 500kgs. For the same era panel models the LWB is known to rust heavily behind the rear axle, but I don't know if the newer ones suffer the same problem. If you're pleased with the crafter I'd suggest going for another, the only other van I have experience in is the Transit, so not much help on what else to try, sorry.

Jim.

I had a 2002 3.5t Iveco box van for a while. To be honest i wouldn't rush out to buy another. Although it was relatively comfortable, the one I had gave quite a bit of trouble. As jimbo said, the payload wasn't great. I found the gearbox to be a weak point too.

A 2007 Iveco Daly onwards would in my opinion a better purchase than the same age Sprinter model, only negative I would say if you employ a driver keep away from the 3 litre engine as it is an animal on clutches if abused.

I've seen a 2009 with 100k on the clock with the 2.3 lump in it.
Same age mileage Crafter nearly twice the money but is it twice the van???

If I was looking for a van I'd be on BCA auctions or similar , companies that run big fleets seem to just replace the lot every so many years irrespective of the individual circumstances of each van .
I remember chancing on a transit tipper on ebay described as ex something rail at a very good price with only 50k on the clock , I thought too good to be true so searched the web for comparison and found about 12 similar trucks all originating from the same rail company all within a grand of the price of the first truck , all in good nick but the mileage varied a lot . No doubt dealers bought them for pittance at an auction .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back