Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

norway

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Cant go to iceland this year as we were planing because of the dog... so off to norway in early june.

We have 16 days. I can drive forever but gf doesnt want to spend 16 days in the motor so want to stay a couple of days in nice spots camping.

I prefer remote locations away from tourists, but wont miss out on any must see locations because of this.

So, any must see locations i would be mad too miss?

Also im thinking of scrapping the ferry to kristiansand from Denmark and driving through sweden instead. Any thoughts on this route? Will it add much more time and cost to the trip?

Cheers

I am doing a similar trip to the fjords in Norway and will follow this thread!
Cheers
Pete - northants

I am told that wild camping is allowed anywhere in Sweden, but obviously not taking the truck off the road. A quiet spot to pitch is what you need to look for.

When I visited in 2010 we drove through Sweden on the way up and caught the ferry from Kristiansand on the way back. If the ferry timings work out for you then the ferry does save alot of time. The one thing I do remember about Norwegian roads is that once your off the motorway it's really tough to make any progress, from memory I think it was 8 hours plus to do 450km - and this was in a sports car.

I'm guessing you are looking at the ferry into Esbjerg too? As this one is an overnight it's a great way to cover alot of ground and get a good nights sleep in

Probably very out of date but our ferry details were:

Kristiansand 08:00 - Hirtshals 11:15 3h 15m*
Vehicle:Mazda RX-8 (2003 +) (Car) -
Vehicle Length:4.47m
Vehicle Height:1.34m
Caravan / Trailer:not required
Accommodation / Seating:Reserved Seat
Pets:not required

Total Debited: €83.50

Depart: Sat 30 October 2010
Esbjerg 18:45 - Harwich 11:00 18h 15m*
Vehicle:Mazda RX-8 (2003 +) (Car) -
Vehicle Length:4.47m
Vehicle Height:1.34m
Caravan / Trailer:not required
Accommodation / Seating:4 berth cabin (Outside) (B4SHO x1)

Total Debited: £359.00

Yes, that's right - wild camping (nearly) anywhere in Norway. I.e, you can pitch your tent for a day or three, as long as you don't leave anything behind, and not too close to somebody's home. Offroad driving, otoh, is strictly prohibited, and often reported and fined.
Ferries and new bridges within Norway are generally expensive, but often worth the experience.
Food is expensive - bring what you can. Normal food from supermarkets is not too bad though, if you plan on cooking. Tell me if you have any special needs, and I'll see if I can help with some pointers.
Do you plan on going hiking in the mountains? or climb a peak?

The money you save on wild camping, you can rather spend on a luxurious night or two, e.g. on one of these historic hotels: http://www.dehistoriske.com/hotel/norway/

Wild campings a preference not a compromise. Spent weeks in scotland camping self sufficient and thoroughly enjoy it. Going to fill the roof box with booze and food.:thumbup: any opinions on not to miss spots? Pretty much set on scrapping all of the ferrys other than dover. Thoughts?

No plans to do any serious walking, the dogs coming so the gf likes a bit of a walk.
Cheers

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cant seem to get your link to work isle of man..

Pretty much set on scrapping all of the ferrys other than dover. Thoughts?
Cheers

The one out of Harwich is definitely worth doing - with the amount of time saved driving and the fuel saved it didn't work out to be too much more expensive. I'm not sure how it works with pets though ... which could be the deciding factor. Will definitely keep the gf happier if she isn't keen on doing loads and loads of miles in the car.

i started off set on using the harwich to the hook of holland ferry, but looking at the map and google maps it actually seems to take longer than crossing at dover and driving round. tricky one. she doesnt mind the stretch so much getting there, we have driven to austria in one sitting. its when we get there and i spend every day driving to see as much as possible! i have come round now though and admit its nice to spend a couple of days in a cracking spot.

The key part of that (at least from the Denmark side) is it was over night ... i'd drive around too if the ferry trip was travelling through the day.

Yep, it works for me.

the ferry over night does make sense, will look at the ferrys again. still cant get it to work so must be me and my computer..

the direct uk ferry would make the trip a joy and much more time could be spent exploring that part of the world.

so absolute must see locations?

You mentioned dog... Here's some info, Norway is not in the EU, but has the same regulations and agreements as eu-countries on many areas.
http://www.mattilsynet.no/language/...r_travelling_with_your_dog_cat_or_ferret.9322

Must see locations are all over the place, more or less. Fjords, mountains, glaciers. If you like driving a bit north, the Lofoten area is quite spectatular. Otherwise, further south, you have the fjords of Geiranger or Hardangerfjord, the highlands plateau Hardangervidda with lots of places to hike, or bathe in icy water :). Google "Prekestolen" if you want a spectacular view.

You'll find idyllic lakes hidden in the forests, and rivers and waterfalls.
Often there are small private forest roads which are closed with a barrier, where you pay 2 - 5 £ to go through, either with coins or card, but normally not both options, where you can get away from the main roads, and find areas with even less people than the rest of the near empty Norway. Just remember to bring your woollens and windbreakers. You haven't mentioned any kids, so I suppose it's only the two of you travelling.

Thanks for the replys fellas.

And thank you very much uhu for your help, wont be too cold that time of year will it? :wtf:

Pretty much set on only using the tunnel. Cant do with being on the clock and having to book stuff etc. Will see if we regret it...

Edit, yes no kids.

Last edited:
Google 'pulpit rock'.

Norways on my list as well :)

Driving from Denmark through Sweden isn't much extra, but half of Europe from the Tunnel is... Better to get to your destination before you are fed up, Norway is very long - from the southern tip of Norway, the distance to the North Cape is the same as to Rome.

Cold in the summer?, well relatively no :), but expect well under 10 C in the mountains in the night, and, say, one week of 13 C and rain every day. But then again, you might have 20 - 30-something degrees and sun all the time as well, so bring bathing clothes. Expect weather!

Bathing clothes?? In those liberal countries??? I'm disappointed. ;)

Back