Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Facelift for the 95 - opinions?

Bob

Supporter
Country Flag
ireland
I've been toying with the idea of putting black vinyl on the rear panels of the cruiser. As its a commercial, the glass was removed and replaced with solid panels before it was sold new. Obviously it wont look as good as tinted glass, but its basically the type of look I'm going for, without the expense of refitting glass panes. Does it look better enough with the black to warrant giving this a try??

Now:

attachment.php?attachmentid=346546&stc=1&d=1429979912.jpg

Wildly photoshopped potential future:

attachment.php?attachmentid=346547&stc=1&d=1429980132.png

So would the vinyl look horrendous up close? I'd be confident enough of getting a decent finish on it doing it myself. Just haven't seen much of the vinyl finish first hand.. thoughts?

Thanks, Bob :think:

The idea of using the vinyl is so that its easily reversible if i don't like it. Why do you suggest dark grey? i thought a gloss black would be the best imitation of tinted glass. Plus the suppliers don't seem to do anything between black and gun metal grey, which is very clearly grey

The blacks an improvement imo , i wonder if a semi transparent black vinyl would be more convincing assuming you can get it ?

Why was this moved to 90 series? And who decides?...I put it in Lounge to get as many opinions as possible... not just from 90 owners...

Thanks for the reply Shayne, I might buy both gloss black vinyl, and the darkest limo tint available and compare them. The supplier in Dublin has both and its pretty cheap.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was thinking really dark grey would balance the car better - but agree if its a window-look-a-like you're after, then gloss black. Either way I think would look smart and enhance the truck. Just my 2p....

Thanks Dave, yeah i think it would look a bit fresher, and less van like. (I have happily lived with it like this for 6 years...)

i have a bit of time off in June, so I'll attack it then. Just in time for our trip to France/Spain this summer

I think the black looks better in my opinion. Have you considered just a really dark tint?

The gloss black will look amazing,nice motor by the way

Gloss Black vinyl - should look the business :thumbup:

used to fit a lots of black vinyl on coach windows and if you get a semi matt finish looks really good up against glass. We would have tinted windows with the vinyl for the toilet as you could still see inside in the right light.
If you do go a head just make sure you do inside. The window must be super clean and spray soapy water on first to move the air out-of it.I

Stu - Bob doesn't have glass, his windows have been replaced with solid panels as part of the "Commercial" conversion.

Thanks for all the replies... Gloss black it is!! And if it comes out not to my liking, just peel it off...

Cheers for the compliment Sag, it's unusual for a commercial in Ireland in that it's clean and not been hacked to bits. It does work hard from time to time, but gets well cared for in between! There's a LOT of very sorry looking 90's plodding in and out of cattle marts and building sites here.... Still running mind!!

For those who might not frequent the overland builds section...

IMAG0752_zpsrmrrxyxv.jpg

Looks well there Bob!! I have the glass and mine are tinited, cost me 80 quid to get done.! its great for keeping the sun out and keeps my cplorado cool in warm weather over in Europe.! I hope yours stays cool inside because the black might attract a bit more sunlight, although you got the awning it might be OK.!! nice.!!

Bob. where did you get that rear spoiler over the taildoor.??

It was on it when I bought it. It was fitted from new as far as I know, it was a one owner- main dealer job.

Back