Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC90 1KZTE Radiator upgrade opinions on options

Paulsven

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all

Just looking for some opinions/advice. I am currently totally rebuilding my LC90 1KZTE and am thinking of changing the rad but not sure whether it's worth it or which way to go.

After doing all the work I don't want to have overheating issues and cracked heads/blocks etc. The block in the vehicle I bought from ebay with "some coolant" loss ended up having a 7" crack in the block behind the oil cooler.

The rad it came with was just a cheap aftermarket rad with a single core, albeit a large(ish) core and plastic tanks (Milners I think). I doubt it would even cool a lawnmower as the core is only 27mm thick and don't really want to put it back in. It's brand new though as the "chap" I bought the LC from had changed it trying to sort his cooling issues.

I went to an engineer shop today and they can build me a 3 core (57mm) copper/brass rad for about £280+VAT (£350ish inc VAT). I have also seen aluminium 3 core rads on ebay for about £165 + shipping but these come from Malaysia and not sure how well it would survive shipping from there or what the quality is like. The other option is a genuine Toyota rad which I am being quoted roughly £350 inc VAT.

Has anyone upgraded their rad and if so to what? Has anyone had a rad built and if so is the quote I have reasonable? The custom rad wouldn't come with the sloped top either side but just be a flat topped tank so worried this might have an impact on bonnet closing etc. Should I be wary of the cheaper Malaysian units or has anyone bought one and have an opinion on it? Is the genuine Toyota rad actually up to the job considering all the overheating issues so is it even worth me bothering to consider that as an option?

Are there any down sides to a rad upgrade and/or do I even need to do it?

Questions questions but I'd be grateful for any opinions/advice.

Thanks

Definitely put a new rad on it

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=1022

If the previous owner had cooling issues you would probably be better off spending the same on renewing everything from the above .

I think the cooling issues were down to the cracked block. I want to avoid future issues from what I understand the cooling system is pretty weak. Are the cores in the Roughtrax units bigger than the Milners? Also I'm a bit wary of plastic tanks as surely metal ones would contribute to the cooling effect?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would go with the genuine toyota rad. and change the thermostat with a genuine one while your doing it. also new red coolant.
I think the only reason you get the cracked head is because people dont stay on top of the cooling system. Also the temp gauge is next to useless, before you know it you have boiled over and cracked the head.

I bought my LC six years ago now, and i had read about the issues so my first job was to replace all the cooling items and six years/60,000 miles on ive had no problems (as i run off and touch wood)

Genuine Toyota. My 1996 Prado was still on the original, no issues - would any aftermarket rad last 19 years?

I saw a company in Malaysia / Phillipines offering custom built alli stuff, possibly same one - do you have a link?

Pete

My original toyota rad lasted over 12 years but when it came out it was in pretty bad shape! If I had the money it'll be either a new toyota rad or a 3 core rad. However, if you don't need to additional cooling the Milner rads are just fine! I've had mine for 6 years now and not had a problem!

That 3 core on ebay tempts me but i think i'd be forever left with doubts about the quality of the aluminium itself ?

Thanks for all the input. Have compromised a bit as discovered the flat tank top on the custom rad may have been damaged by the bonnet closing on to it. I have however managed to find a rad with a 37mm core that will slot straight in for about £250 all in. Think I prefer that to a cheaper 24mm rad.

Back