Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch tray or winch bumper .

Shayne

Guru
I would like a bumper made to my drawings but I also like Swampys discreet winch tray and whilst weighing the pro's and con's the odds are stacked in favour of the tray .

So would anyone like to be the devil's advocate ?

For the type of use that you'll likely put the winch to Shayne, I don't see any advantage in you defacing the truck with a mahoosive winch bumper...

One of the reasons an off the shelf winch bumper won't do Clive

I have a TBR winch tray for a 95 here cheap

I had one of those. Very good.

PICT0026.jpg

Like this ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Discreet all the way for me, less attention drawn to my winch

And now a fall over it most days

Must admit i am surprised that a winch bumper didn't get a single vote :shock:

Must admit i am surprised that a winch bumper didn't get a single vote :shock:

I'd always go for a winch bumper, it saved me a LOTof damage when I hit a concrete wall. :whistle:

Always makes me laugh that Chas :lol: i'm guessing you worked around the stage all your life ? and you finally find stardom by driving through the wall of a Toyota garage :laughing-rolling: brilliant . I did something similar many years ago but it was a pub wall and it wasn't an accident but theres no amusing memories from that incident :doh:

Winch 001.JPG

Just dug this out and i'm not going to do much with it today before dark but if i engage the clutch i can wind the wire in , and it locks if i try to pull wire out .

Would i be right in thinking the wire is the wrong way on the drum ?

Or that the winch is simply facing the wrong way? You can't tell unless you spool the rope off really. If you press winch in and it winches in then it's on the right way

Which way it should be mounted is what i was looking at i have to drill holes to bolt it to tray , its not of major importance because the same holes should work either way but then this more valid question presented itself . I have no experience of vehicle winches to call upon but seems to me the only advantage of having a clutch is so you can manually drag out your hook , unless i am missing something ?

Yes the footprint should be the same either way round. But the rope has to come off the bottom of the drum. As you have it now, the rope is coming off the bottom but it's back to front. Now, you can't just turn it round. You have to know which way it's SUPPOSED to be wound. The winch actually looks like it should go that way. Typically, winches sit the same way round with the motor where it is now. But unless you spool off and see which way the rope lies, it could be on backwards. So what? Ahh well that's the important bit. The winch has a brake inside and that only works one way. If you have the rope on backwards, the winch won't hold a load. So there are two things to consider, rope on right way round and winch facing the right way for the rope to come off the bottom out the front of the winch tray. Yes the free spool clutch is there so you can pull cable off easily

Thanks Chris that fits with my thinking , if i can free spool out through the hawse hole then all should be good when i can get power to it .

Back