Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Umm smoke

GeekOKent

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Haven't really driven the LC since the oil change the other week. Wife dropped the kids off to school this morning, and just called to say that there is whiteish blueish smoke from the exhaust.

I am guessing its burning oil. Wont get back till Sunday and am slightly worried.

Its got a genuine filter and oil (5w30).

Could I have unknowingly moved stuff around, dislodged something causing this? Could I have over filled the oil? I put in the specified amount. Not a drop more.

You say the specified amount, did you check the level on the dipstick?

I take it you used the right grade of oil?

I don't see that simply changing the oil can cause something to dislodge or move around to cause the smoke.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back in the UK. Just had a look. It's smoking. And there is quite a bit of it at startup. Pretty much disappears in a few seconds but i can still smell the oil in the exhaust.

Going to call in a garage and try to get as tow out to one of them. Not sure I want to drive the LC like this.

:(

Could it be diesel rather than oil ? just thinking i had the fuel turned up a long way in my 90 and after i moved the sensors up onto the intercooler i actually found pure unburnt diesel in my air box . Maybe you dislocated a sensor while changing the oil resulting in over fuelling .

I would'nt know where to start looking for these sensors!

Would you think its still Diesel if it smokes a lot at startup, then pretty much clears out completely within 5 - 8 seconds ?

Sounds exactly like to much fuel to me , has your oil dropped at all ? . You don't need to look for sensors just wiggle all those electrical plugs you see under the bonnet making sure they are tight , it does seem unlikely you may have upset one while changing the oil but you never know .

I'll try that, thanks.

Was also thinking of completely draining the oil and re-topping up.

Come to think of it if the truck hasn't been used much what your wife seen may have been perfectly normal , and now your looking for a problem and seeing one , i'm guessing you haven't give the truck a chance to warm up at all ? Take it for a 10 minute run then see how it starts when warm , could be nothing at all .

Checked all the cables and make sure the contacts were good, started it up and there is no immediate difference. But there is certainly oil all over the place, I noticed that the exhaust had a few drops of oil as well. Turned it right off, now trying to find a flat recovery to get it into a garage.

:icon-cry:

Just had a thought, well, two actually. Is it breathing a lot of oil vapour? Not certain that this would cause it, so whilst thinking, the nasty thought crept in that it may be turbo shaft seal on the exhaust side, hence, really, the only source of unburnt oil in the exhaust. [emoji27]
Taking the exhaust off at the turbo should show signs.

The initial thought was, has the dipstick been swapped or had the top stopper pushed downwards somehow causing a high oil level? Bit of a long shot and a stupid one but dafter things have happened. Doesn't explain the unburnt oil out of the exhaust though.

So the LC went into the garage yesterday, unfortunately I could not follow it there. But am on my way out now.

The only thing they did tell me was that the gearbox isnt engaging cleanly ?!?!?! [emoji53]

Wow, they must be good!! I'd never have suspected that would cause oil out the exhaust pipe!! Amazing. Those guys are the mutts!!

[emoji19]

Got the LC back last evening. Drove it around a bit today.

So, the smoke was just extra oil in there. But since i had leveled it out, it cleared the smoke out within 10 min of idling. Don't see, nor was the garage able to spot any other symptoms. And she drove fine today. That's that.

The other weird things going on seem to have also self healed. Since i was at the garage got them to do a MOT and that went through fine as well.

The gearbox not engaging was some one elses 150..

The gearbox not engaging was some one elses 150..

That inspires confidence…

Glad it's sorted. I suppose it had to be oil level as it's the only thing that was altered.

That's a weight off your mind.

Back