Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replaced aerial, only goes up

5charlie46

Country Flag
england
Afternoon all,

I've replaced the factory aerial (snapped and generally buggered) with this aftermarket option:

(EDIT: Can't post links as not posted 15 times yet but if you go on GSF its the BERU one)

wanted to use factory hole and use the manual buttons.

Now, it will only go up if I hold both the up and down button at the same time and will not descend at all, any ideas why?

Thanks in advance for any help

Also if it makes a difference I've also changed the stereo for an aftermarket double din

Sounds like the switches have a problem. The aerials don't work like ordinary auto aerials which have some control element to them. They literally get +,- or -,+ from the switches direct to the motor thereby making the motor go one way or the other. I fitted an aftermarket one and removed all control from the aerial and connected + and - direct to the motor after making sure the motor had no connection to the bodywork. Works a treat.

To test, separate the connector, stuff the probes of a multimeter into the loom side of the connector set to 'DC Volts' and get someone to hold the switches in alternately. You should get a voltage around 12-13v or so with one button in, and -12 to -13v or so with the other. If not, try another switch or clean the existing switch.

Another test would be to test between one side of the connector and earth and you should get + voltage on one pin with one switch and on the other pin with the other switch. Then turn the meter to 'ohms' (resistance) and do the same where you should then get close to zero on one side of the connector and something way off on the other and vice versa with the switch in the other position.

This test will tell you which side of the switch is at fault.

The radio should make no difference as it does not work the aerial in standard form.

Last edited:
thanks for the help, I quickly plugged in the old aerial just now and it goes up and down perfectly fine with that one. I'll have to take a better look tomorrow evening

Back