Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

PMR446 - but CB style transceiver?

SteveS

We're going away as a group and everybody seems to want to use PMR446 hand helds to do the talking.....which strikes me as less optimal than a nice CB with proper speakers etc etc.

Anyway, the question is if I'd like to avoid PMR446 hand helds is there such a thing as a 446Mhz transceiver that I could mount into the dash of my truck, possibly with an external antenna, and a CB style mic/pressel??

I don't have a radio license

The reason they're mostly handhelds is that they are limited to a very low wattage output (0.5w I think) which means a dedicated rig is a bit ott and unecessarily expensive.

You could buy a decent 2m/70cm unit and program in the ctcss codes into that - as long as you dont transmit on the ham channels its fine, and you can listen to them if you want to hear about someones first radio etc :)

Given the low cost of vhf/uhf handhelds (the baofeng UV5's are about £30 each and easy to get programmed) that would be my plan, then add a small roof mounted aerial (tiny things, about 9"), you'd def be the loudest.......

The other thing - looking at your trucks mods - certain African countries dont allow cbs/pmr/vhf - its far easier to hide a handheld up your bum than a dashboard rig :icon-cool:

The other thing - looking at your trucks mods - certain African countries dont allow cbs/pmr/vhf - its far easier to hide a handheld up your bum than a dashboard rig :icon-cool:

Ooh err, I've got one of those and that would be most uncomfortable I can assure you. [emoji15]

Also bear in mind that you aren't allowed to transmit more than 0.5w on PMR unless it's business PMR for which you need a licence in the UK. IIRC the Baofeng (or Pofung as they are now called) can only go down to 1 watt. Also unless it's business PMR the antenna has to be non detachable and the Baofengs are detachable. Not sure on the legalities abroad but no doubt Google will help with that.

The Baofengs are however excellent pieces of kit for very little money and work well with a longer antenna.

Thinking if you want the ability to run a PMR with a mic, some will take a lapel speaker mic which can work well in the car if you have some way of mounting the radio.

Thanks for the inputs - very useful. I shall take a look at those units
With regards to CBs in African countries (Morocco being a good example) the CB is easily removable and the antenna detached at borders. Once in nobody seems to care but I agree that in normal use if some over zealous policeman was to make a fuss then I could be in trouble. As you say easy to hide a PMR

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back