Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Heater problems tips and advice

Shayne

Guru
Can't turn the heating off . The hot/cold dial meets resistance at 11 oclock so I'm guessing its a mechanical problem rather than a dodgy thermostat so any time saving hints or tips with regards to removal would be appreciated .

They are generally cable operated. The cable (at least on 80's) runs through the bulk head to a tap on the firewall. If the cable is seizing due to corrosion you could try some WD40 down one end and let it penetrate.

The thermostat only affects the engine heat up time and has nothing to do with the heater itself so to speak.

I would suggest the same Shayne, either the cable or the tap is sticking. On my 80 the cable clips to a bracket on the tap. I did notice that the position of the outer cable had shifted in the clip, meaning that only 3/4 of travel of the inner was effective.

After repositioning it in the clip, it's been fine ever since.

good luck :thumbup:

I was also thinking the cable may have come unclipped (or may be bending) but couldn't work out how that would restrict the movement of the dial ... and what you said Clive explains it :)

So intercooler off to get the cable or pull the dash apart to see whats going on that end , sounds like starting at the bottom is the best option assuming that's where i will find the enemy clip ?

It should be in the engine bay against the bulkhead Shayne, I would leave the dash end to last...:?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks fellas it turns out i'm not the first to visit this problem on my truck and the last numpty obviously lost the bolt that secures the valve to the bulkhead . His solution was to use a self tapping bolt in the lower hole which is supposed to be used to prevent the valve from rotating and so it had all worked itself lose . Have yourselves a hot vimto on me :thumbup:

Very true Grant and it was just the sort of distraction i needed to make me look at my trailer again with fresh eyes and search for a simple solution .

Back